News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Wooden Swords

Started by MatthiasMan, July 08, 2012, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwaller

I've found this super cool branch in the woods (actually two of them) and made 'em look even cooler. Hey M&M, how do you make your swords?

MatthiasMan

Ah, well I get a knife and carve it. It takes many carves to do it but it's very sharp. The key is to lay it flat and make edges. Very slightly cut the edges and it can become sharp as you want. I've been able to cut bushes with one and the wood get's stained, but you can resharpen it. But very slightly cut it so the sword lasts long.

Rusvul

Quote from: eualaia on July 11, 2012, 01:20:35 AM
i made a wooden claymore but i broke it over my practice dummy :/
how did you make a practice dummy? i made a duct tape mold of myself, i had a friend wrap my entire body in duct tape and then cut it off and fill it with newspaper. the problem is it doesnt stand up. how did you make yours?

Redwaller

Quote from: MatthiasMan on July 11, 2012, 02:14:29 AM
Ah, well I get a knife and carve it. It takes many carves to do it but it's very sharp. The key is to lay it flat and make edges. Very slightly cut the edges and it can become sharp as you want. I've been able to cut bushes with one and the wood get's stained, but you can resharpen it. But very slightly cut it so the sword lasts long.
I'm gonna try that!

Flandor

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 11, 2012, 11:17:58 AM
Quote from: eualaia on July 11, 2012, 01:20:35 AM
i made a wooden claymore but i broke it over my practice dummy :/
how did you make a practice dummy? i made a duct tape mold of myself, i had a friend wrap my entire body in duct tape and then cut it off and fill it with newspaper. the problem is it doesnt stand up. how did you make yours?

I think you could pretty easily put a stake into the ground and run the stake through the dummy.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Rusvul

thats true.... i think i'll try that today, im going to my friends house, our two favorite things to do are stab and hack things with our deadly weapons and play minecraft XD

Redwaller

I've stsrted making one. But it is sooo hard!

MatthiasMan

Really? You gotta be pretty strong to do it. But to make it easier, I use this kind of knife.

The end of the handle I put my thumb down and push it across the wood while using my other hand to push the rest of the handle. Your thumb will help you get the knife dug into the wood.

EDIT: I might start working on shurikens.

Vilu Daskar

Those are really good.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

MatthiasMan

What are really good?

Redwaller

I use a knife and push the blade across the wood. One of my thumbs on the blade and the other hand on the handle.

MatthiasMan

That's kinda dangerous to put your hand on the blade. What kind of knife are you using?

Redwaller

Hum... Not sure what the name is... It's a sort of wood knife or something like that. Maybe hunting knife.

MatthiasMan

Arvanna the Rogue

I don't make swords but I do collect them.
My Redwall Fansite
"I will lay a place at our table for you and hope you can join us, if not in body, then in the world of your imagination, where you can visit us any time."
RIP Brian Jacques. You are now in your beloved Redwall Abbey.