Redwall in something other than English

Started by Osu, June 27, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Quote from: Wydran Riverpaw on September 18, 2011, 12:45:05 AM
Last week I got back from my vacation in Poland, and while I was there, I was able to pick up the Polish version of Redwall!! :D Anyone interested in hearing about things I've noticed in the translation?

Yes please! I love hearing about differences in translation. Every language has its own subtleties that don't properly translate.

Osu

Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lutra

Yes, often translations come out rather amusing for people in both languages.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Coobreedan

Aye, Lily's signature is a prime example.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Myrkin

I read Redwall in Polish. In whole book there was one translation, that might not work very well. In Polish version Cornflower's name was translated to P?czek. P?czek is the name of this:

It's like naming your character Doughnut. You can imagine my first reaction, when I read this. :D

Lutra

Quote from: Myrkin on July 16, 2012, 03:33:46 PM
I read Redwall in Polish. In whole book there was one translation, that might not work very well. In Polish version Cornflower's name was translated to P?czek. P?czek is the name of this:

It's like naming your character Doughnut. You can imagine my first reaction, when I read this. :D

Now THAT's funny! :D :D  "How ya doin' today, Doughnut?"  "I didn't feel like rising out of bed today."

:P
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Lutra on July 16, 2012, 03:48:04 PM
Quote from: Myrkin on July 16, 2012, 03:33:46 PM

Now THAT's funny! :D :D  "How ya doin' today, Doughnut?"  "I didn't feel like rising out of bed today."

:P
Lol!
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Felldoh154

Hahaha!!! That's the funniest thing I've read in awhile :)

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

W0NWILL

I'd love to read them in German and Norwegian. German because I know a bit and Norwegian for laughs.

Felldoh154

To me it would be a bunch of gobblygook in another language :P

Redwallfan7

Felldoh154

I could try Spanish but I couldn't understand it all by a long shot

Tiria Wildlough

I could probably read them in Spanish. Only problem is that I can't find any in Spanish.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

redwallgurl

Same here I'm jsut learning Spanish so I don't know if I'll be able to read it. though it would be cool.
Fun. is a fantastic band.