1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 01:32:03 AM

daskar666

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 21, 2011, 04:05:15 PM
Quote from: Lutra on July 21, 2011, 12:28:53 AM
I think the list is a tad short

A fix would be to just add an 'Other' option

And for a villain, the most skilled in sword would be Kurda. In bow, I'd say Vallug Bowbeast, followed by Dingeye.
I couldn't say hero.
This topic wasn't specified by 'best', and the name of the game seems to be most talented, though it could be interpreted as just whoever someone's favorite warrior-classed character.
Doomeye was pretty skilled with a bow as well.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Wow, I'm intelligent.
Yeah, I meant Doomeye.

Why I wrote Dingeye I don't know, he wasn't particularly skilled with any weapon
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

James Gryphon

QuoteMartin is the most skilled Warrior of them ALL, NOT Boar the Fighter.

Quote from: martins#1fan on July 21, 2011, 04:10:52 PM
What???? Clearly the Most skilled with a sword is Martin, with Lord Brocktree a close second, and Rakkety Tam a close third.
Mossflower begs to differ:

Quote from: MossflowerThis time the silver badger ducked in under the blade, catching Martin's sword paw. Locking the point with the flat of the fire iron, he flattened the warrior mouse against the wall with the edge of the sword across his throat. "See, just another bit of trickery." That second day of summer, Martin learned more of swordplay than in his whole life. Nobody was more adept with a blade than Boar the Fighter.

Martin's pretty good, and one of the best; his feats aren't in question here. However, you have to give credit where credit's due; Martin learned from Boar, and the book itself attributes Boar as being the best at that time (and thus probably the best in all Redwall history).

As far as villains go, well, I'd rank Cluny top in overall athleticism and general combat skill, with honorable mentions to Ferahgo the Assassin, Gabool the Wild (the greatest searat swordfighter of all time, if you don't count Cluny), and Damug Warfang, who succeeded in blinding a berserk badger.

Tsarmina also deserves a mention for being one of the few major villains to practice the bow; we don't know how good she is, since she regularly took shots against Argulor that missed, but that could have just been her errant psychology forcing her to take bad shots ;); we know she was better than any of her troops, anyway.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Boar and Rawnblade were both excellent swordfighters. Random: Verminfate is an awesome sword.

The first four books and the greatest fighters/warriors within (to certain standards):

In Redwall, Cluny was arguably the best with the sword of any in the book. Props given to Basil, Constance and the beaver are relevant for the crossbow, and Constance's great aim and strength. Matthias was certainy a very skilled swordsbeast, and by the events of Mattimeo, quite one of the best warriors in that book. Basil Stag Hare was a good warrior as well, and is in consdieration for the book. I really like Ambrose Spike, who was like Redwall's most warrior-like and fighting beast until Matthias began his journey.

In Mossflower, Tsarmina never used a sword, or any melee weapon for that matter. She relied primarily on natural defenses. I would not call her the best fighter in the book. By fighter, I mean to give the word warrior to the heroes' alone. I'd call Martin the most skilled fighter, as he beat Tsarmina. Granted she was subdued by her crazed mind, but if you're going to examine her as a fighter, you need to take everything about her into account. That said, her fear is taken into the mix, and she lost. Boar the Fighter- as has been said, he was a very skilled and powerful fighter. His name provides that, clearly a very very skilled swordsbeast, with mad strength and might to boot. Ashleg. Well, he got his leg beaten off by a branch with Fortunata at the end of it. Lady Amber and Skipper, I loved these two. Great warriors, great friends, great mates, great fighters. Mask was a truly amazing warrior, he was a wonderful beast as well. Ripfang, defiantly a skilled fighter. He died mutually with Boar the Fighter. If he had not been hiding somewhere, Boar might have been able to slay him and keep battling on. Regardless, he still fought after he was being crushed to death by the badgerlord, and Boar the Fighter died in combat with him.

Mattimeo held a curious array of fighters. There's Mattimeo, who was never mentioned to have accomplished any major victory. He held well in the battle of the Kingdom of Malkariss. With the battle in mind, the Wearat makes an obvious appearance. He's big, brutuish, savage, monsterous, and some sort of mythical cross between multiple species, giving him an extra dosage of fear to use over his foes. I'd credit him as really the only villain to defeat a hero at their best, throwing Matthias to his death if it wasn't for Malkariss' cowardice. Slagar's adaptness at the art of combat comes in his mind. It is twisted, screwed up and he believes lies created by himself, but he's still brilliant. But the searchers and Martin still overcame all his ploys, though his slavers didn't and paid the price for being tricked by him. He was skilled with a unique weapon, the bolas. Skilled at that he certainly was, very skilled. Stryk Redkite is a different type of fighter altogether. With only her natural defenses, she singleclawedly saved the Abbey and with Constance's help defeated the black birds under Ironbeak. Once again, Constance comes up as a skilled fighter. Orlando the Axe is easily another competant. He slew the Wearat with a single blow, wielded a battleaxe no other beast could pick up, and took out a good share of the blackrobe rats at the final battle. Auma was defiantly a strong badger as well, and fought with her father and dealt out a good deal of damage to all foes.

Mariel of Redwall held Dandin, who was called by Martin the Warrior and was given his sword via Simeon. He was apt with the sword, and even got to fight with a giant black lobster with it. How many warriors got to do that? Rawnblade Widestripe, with Verminfate, slew an entire crew of searats and corsairs by himself. Very impressive, and quite a dazzling display of power and might. He and Martin killed Skrabblag, and Gabool at the same time, or perhaps via the scorpion. (Random: I like scorpions). Colonel Clary, Brigadier Thyme, Hon Rosie and Pakatugg. Four brilliant warriors, who between them managed seventy (app.) searats, and died fighting in the pursuit, for the safety of Redwall. As warriors, they were some of the bravest and most noble, and gave their lives for honest woodlanders and goodbeasts. The name of the topic is really fighters though. They were very awesome fighters, including Hon Rosie as she survived what would have normally killed a beast numerous times.
Mariel Gullwhacker nearly bested Gabool, fully armed, with a rope and a mad sense of revenge and courage and ferocity.
Gabool dueled with a bell. Insane, like Tsarmina. Still clever though, still thinking up plots to deal with his enemies, as Tsarmina did. He was noted as a good fighter, but never really displayed too much skill, though still a fair swordsbeast.

By using the word warrior as I did, I was drawing to the fact that in the books it was only ever used in description to a hero. Brian Jacques called a great deal of attention to the craft of a warrior, and said numerous times what a warrior really was. Not someone with great power or strength, as he said, but someone who will defend the weak or those not able to defend themselves against others. "A warrior is someone people look up to."

martins#1fan

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 21, 2011, 04:12:22 PM
First off, I specifically said as for a villain the most skilled. I was not counting in any heroes, as I couldn't decide about them.
And that's a matter of opinion.

I was referring to "I couldn't say the hero" or whatever you said.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Log-a-Log

Cregga is a formidable opponent with the bloodwrath and her axepike
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Skalrag of Marshank

Yeah. The Taggerung, Cregga, and Martin the Warrior are the best warriors (so far).
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

rakkety tam

yes but u never saw the taggerung in any real battles
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Skalrag of Marshank

"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

rakkety tam

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Gonff

I never thought of the Taggerung as someone who would really do well in a battle (although he probably would.) I always thought of him as more of a tracker.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Taggerung_of_Redwall

He was an excellent tracker, but very skilled in all manner of weapons. Ironically, he was trained by Eefera and Vallug more than any.

Log-a-Log

Yeah, he was brought up in a very war-like manner
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Galedeep

Hmmm... Finnbarr Galedeep isn't here, oh well. Out of the group I pick that amazing highlander duo, Rakkety Tamm and Doogy Plum!

rakkety tam

yeah sorry about that i only did the ones that i rememeberd i have a bad memory