News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

RP Revival Committee

Started by Izeroth, May 08, 2015, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 09, 2015, 12:44:12 AM
Should we gather a list of the RPs that should be revived and that were the most popular, just to see what people enjoyed?

Sure. I'll make a list.

But, first of all, we need to determine the problems with RPs. Only then can we actually ensure that they will stay active.

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, here are my tow questions to that question. What made the more active RP's so good, and could be be that the story line of the RP'S now is just not as good?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

Jukka gave some good points: Short, uninteresting posts give players less of a reason to post afterwards, and people leaving mid-RP is also an issue.

Another thing might be failing storyline; the beginning might be good, but the middle can become a bit cliche or even just aimless flailing about. If one sees this happening in an RP, suggesting a rethinking of storyline or giving the GM an idea of your own can help this. While the GM did start the RP, I don't think they would be averse to some help with it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 09, 2015, 03:51:56 AM
Well, here are my tow questions to that question. What made the more active RP's so good, and could be be that the story line of the RP'S now is just not as good?

For the first question, I would say that that heavily varies from RP to RP. Some RPs succeed because of  interesting plot; others, good characters.

In answer to your second question, I would say no. There's no reason I can see for RP quality to decline over the years; if anything, it should get better as the members of this forum become more experienced in roleplay. The main issue for the decline of the role playing board is, I think, lack of interest in roleplaying at all.

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 09, 2015, 03:55:51 AM
Jukka gave some good points: Short, uninteresting posts give players less of a reason to post afterwards, and people leaving mid-RP is also an issue.

Another thing might be failing storyline; the beginning might be good, but the middle can become a bit cliche or even just aimless flailing about. If one sees this happening in an RP, suggesting a rethinking of storyline or giving the GM an idea of your own can help this. While the GM did start the RP, I don't think they would be averse to some help with it.

Gotta agree with you there: the middle is where most RPs die. It seems the stagnation is because of, as you pointed out, lack of interest and confusion about the direction of the story. One thing that really irks me is when people introduce irrelevant and meaningless sub-plots that do nothing to advance the story at all.

The Skarzs

People might also be picky, like me, so joining an RP can be a touchy thing. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

I do remember from Hidden Within the Walls that in about the mid section of it, most everyone stopped playing except for a few people. It was very interesting, and I stayed around because of it.

I do agree with what y'all have said. I try to plan out my RPs before we start, and just give a basic skeleton for it. That could be a way to avoid some of the mid-way issues.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jukka the Sling

I think part of the problem could be due to not having enough plot. Say for example that the plot for an RP is "a group of creatures meet up on the Western shores and decide to travel to Redwall together." Traveling can be one of the most boring parts of an RP when there's nothing interesting scheduled to happen, and that plot could easily cause the death of the RP.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Gee, thanks, Jukka. :P
I see another problem with posting - Time! What if people don't have time to post a long post, so they just whip out something? It's something I've done quite a few times, so I'm sure that having all be posts being three sentences long is a good one. I mean, it sounds good, but what if someone really needs to post, but doesn't have the time for posting three sentences, and then doesn't post and later forgets? As  said before, this is something I myself have done.

Jukka the Sling

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend. It's just something I've noticed with multiple RP's.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Izeroth

So, the main problems seem to be:

•Lack of time/interest

•Poorly-designed plot

•Long, boring periods

Now, how do you think we could fix these?

Lady Ashenwyte

1. Plan your RP joining carefully, and never join too many RPs at once, as I have done.

2. Draw up a basic outline of your plot, and make up something you will enjoy, yet is rational.

3. Make something happen, random encounters, random chatter, or derail the plot entirely, and do an refreshing subplot.

Here are my solutions to the problems, anyone else have suggestions?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Planning too carefully makes the RP less interesting, because isn't that kind of what an RP is? Making decisions that determine the storyline?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 09, 2015, 04:51:15 PM
Planning too carefully makes the RP less interesting, because isn't that kind of what an RP is? Making decisions that determine the storyline?

Yes, but I mention an outline, and not a predetermined plot.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

I'm joining the commitee.

I need two RPs to move forward/get signups.

1. Submission and Rebellion needs signups, Sand and I were the only ones doing it and Corbus has left. I'm taking control for now.

2. Dibbun Adventure kind of ground to a halt. With a few more posts, it can be polishe off, and te sequal can be made!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Edraithel

I think a good idea would be to have a simple form for RP plots that GMs can use to give potential RPers a basic idea of what the end goal is and a few of the obstacles that might be faced. There is always room for spontaneous things to happen during the RP, but it's good to have an idea of where the RP is heading.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man