News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The second Hobbit movie

Started by Vilu Daskar, June 14, 2013, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 17, 2013, 11:32:57 PM
Quote from: Blazemane on June 17, 2013, 11:17:43 PM
My first thought is this: We need Redwall movies, already!
Yes!!!

Though I would love to see a Redwall movie but animated...Redwall seems perfect for an animated movie.

I'll certainly see the second Hobbit film, Smaug and Bilbo conversing is one of my all time favorite parts...I'll be curious to see how it works out.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Firehawke

I love the trailer...can't wait to see the movie!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

KitrallStreamrippler

I can't wait to finally see Smaug. I know we caught a glimpse of him in the first movie, but I mean to actually see him... And to hear how Benedict Cumberbatch's voice works out in this role.

Quote from: Redwaller on June 17, 2013, 10:16:47 PM
Right. It doesn't mean that there's a lot of male characters in a book/movie that it will be better. It depends on the storyline, how the story goes. I read the Anne Series, and even if it's a girl, the book is good. I wouldn't have liked it any better if it was a boy.
I agree completely in the adding gender roles issue. I am a girl (and a teenage girl at that) and while I can definitely appreciate good female lead roles, I liked The Hobbit perfectly fine without them. There just wasn't a need for a main female character, and I respect Tolkein's story the way he wrote it.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Shadowed One

Yes, leave the story and characters the way they are. They don't need changing.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Buzz_Bumble

They had to change the Hobbit story to stretch the book out for three movies.  ::)

The Hungry Caterpillar movie is going to be a massive 15 movie saga which includes invading aliens, a trip to Monaco to be in the Grand Prix race, a visit to the Moon, ...  ;)

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on June 20, 2013, 06:58:24 PM
I can't wait to finally see Smaug. I know we caught a glimpse of him in the first movie, but I mean to actually see him... And to hear how Benedict Cumberbatch's voice works out in this role.

Quote from: Redwaller on June 17, 2013, 10:16:47 PM
Right. It doesn't mean that there's a lot of male characters in a book/movie that it will be better. It depends on the storyline, how the story goes. I read the Anne Series, and even if it's a girl, the book is good. I wouldn't have liked it any better if it was a boy.
I agree completely in the adding gender roles issue. I am a girl (and a teenage girl at that) and while I can definitely appreciate good female lead roles, I liked The Hobbit perfectly fine without them. There just wasn't a need for a main female character, and I respect Tolkein's story the way he wrote it.

I'm excited about hearing and seeing Smaug as well.  I'm sure that will be pretty spectacular considering the effects in those films.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Romsca

Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on June 17, 2013, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: Redwaller on June 17, 2013, 08:46:04 PM
Agree. Why should it be more accessible? Don't they have girl books/movies too? It is written like this, and it will stay like this. No need to meddle with it unnecessarily just for the sake of it.

Well, I don't want to turn it into a issue of girls versus boys, that is not my intent.  But you are right about meddling just for the sake of it.  I'd have the same problem with taking a book that is comprised of mostly females and turning into a movie and adding a male figure or turning one of the leads into a male to make it more accessible to me.  As a man, I am more than capable of appreciating the author's work on solely just that.  To me, pandering to an audience, insults its audience.

Let us take "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. (Granted there are men in the book)  If they turned it into a movie and changed it where a man is added to keep my attention solely for that sake, I feel like I am being insulted.  That I cannot appreciate Alcott's work unless there is a "dude I can relate too" in it.  Little Women stands on its own in my opinion! :)

Perhaps I am looking too into this whole thing, but being a sibling of a strong sister I get a bit heated! :P

Edit- 

I guess my main point is I can appreciate the artist on their work alone, male or female, I don't have to be given a reason based on my gender to like it.

IKR? I don't need some stupid old elf to make me like a movie! Even though I don't COMPLETELY have a character I can identify with, I don't care. The reason I like the Hobbit is because of the AWESOME  :D :D :D battles where orc and goblin blood is flying everywhere ;D. I don't need SOME UNNECESSARY ELF to make me interested in a movie.

Anyway, does this elf show up in the second movie? Because I didn't see her in the first one.

Redwaller

If you watch the trailer(which I think you can't because you don't have a computer) she does appear in the second one.

Ungatt Trunn

I've just seen the new trailer for the next Hobbit movie. It looks very promising!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Emperor Ublaz

I just saw the trailer. It was AWESOME!!! Also, I think it's funny how Benedict Cumberbatch and...whoever plays Bilbo are enemies in this movie, seeing as they're best friends in Sherlock!

Yes, I watch Sherlock.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Rainshadow

Quote from: Emperor Ublaz on October 04, 2013, 03:36:40 PM
I just saw the trailer. It was AWESOME!!! Also, I think it's funny how Benedict Cumberbatch and...whoever plays Bilbo are enemies in this movie, seeing as they're best friends in Sherlock!

Yes, I watch Sherlock.

Martin Freeman.  ;)  And yes, it looks so awesome!  I got chills when I heard Smaug's voice.  So cool!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

MeadowR

I agree Benedict's voice is great for Smaug! :D

I wasn't too blown over by the new trailer. I just don't think it holds so much excitement as LOTR. Still be wanting to see it, obviously!

I'm a girl and wouldn't've minded if no women were in the film like in the book, personally. Galadriel being in it makes sense, and I suppose it's fair that there are more female elves in the action, though putting that love-interest story in for Legolas seems already pretty cringey.

To be honest that day of release, on FB it was announced a new Narnia film was coming out and that excited me more.  :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Redwaller

There's three new Narnias coming out at different dates.

The first one next year
One in 2015
And one in 2016 I believe.

Emperor Ublaz

Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Redwaller