News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Favorite Books Period (not just Redwall)

Started by Ferrousferret, July 27, 2013, 09:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferrousferret

So, what are some of your favorite books, what are they about & why do you like them?

'Stone of Tears' by Terry Goodkind
This is the single best book I've ever read in my life & I have yet to find a single one I could enjoy more in the last five years. It's the sequel to the book I'm currently reading, Wizard's First Rule' & picks up right where it left off. Basically, having tricked the main villain into using the Boxes of Orden to kill himself, they've accidentally broken Wizard's Second Rule- the greatest harm can result from the best intentions. Now, the first seal holding the Keeper (essentially Satan) in the darkest regions of the Underworld has been broken, allowing demons to escape into our world at random, shifted the balance of power between life & death & set the world on the brink of falling into an Apocalypse. And if that's not bad enough, Richard begins having headaches that are increasing in pain & frequency- blinding, vertigo, vomiting types of headaches. Three women come to him & try to tell him that they are Sisters of the Light- Sorceresses who devote their lives to the worship of the Creator (essentially God) & spread his teachings through travel to far off lands, as well as teaching young children to use their magical powers righteously in service to him. They say that Richard has to come with them & leanrn to use his powers, or he will die. Kahlan decides to go get help, unaware that insurgents have moved in and begun taking over her land & spreading a new false religion to the masses- one that claims that the only way into a peaceful rest with the Creator is by giving everything of yourself in this life to those who need it more- as well as murdering, destroying and raping their way across the land Kahlan swore to protect with her life in a mass, unorganized mob.

Why do I like it? It's an incredibly dark story with excellent buildup, several amazing twists- not a one that you really see coming- & one of the few endings to a story that has ever made me cry. Honestly, I read the book when I was going through a bout of depression & the fact that the main character is suffering from a depressive episode for a similar reason for the majority of the book really got to me- as well as that ending! Darm!!!

phoenixfoden

1.walter moers rumo
2.Waler moers dreaming books series
3.welkin weasels by garry kilworth

These books would have to be my top 3  :)

DanielofRedwall

Topics like this already exist here and here. Topic locked.
Received mostly negative reviews.