News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Programming

Started by Redwaller, May 22, 2012, 01:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

Anyone here who can program?  What languages?  Where did you learn how to?  Discuss.
baby turtle forever

Rusvul

I have, like, miniscule experience with LUA. I can make the most basic of mods for Starbound (A game coded in LUA), however I can't write anything from scratch- Just changing parameters in templates. I was poking around in game files, and then I found (To my amazement) that I actually understood some of the code. Super happy about that- I've been working on a mod called Holographic Extensions. It'll be really cool- Special hologram-projector armor that will give you special abilities. I'm thinking a variety of colors and a variety of tiers? Yeah, it'll be cool.
Do you do any sort of programming?

BadgerLordFiredrake

I'm learning a bunch--Javascript, HTML/CSS (not technically languages), Python (I've heard it's a lot like Lua), Ruby but I don't "know" any that firmly.
baby turtle forever

Dawnwing

I can.  It's half of what I went to school for.  My programming languages are Java, C#, and VB.NET.  I suppose you could kinda count JavaScript and PHP as programming languages too, but I usually group those more with web stuff.
I'm looking for a programming job at the moment.  One that's looking promising is a software engineer job.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Javascript's pretty complete as a programming language AFAIK, because people have made games in it, but HTML/CSS definitely aren't.
baby turtle forever

Rusvul

I did some sort of Java today. Is the system that Minecraft command blocks run on Java? Or is it a system made for in-game? Idk. Using commands like this:

/execute @e[type=Snowball,score_time_min=4] ~ ~ ~ summon FireworksRocketEntity ~ ~ ~ {Blah blah blah a bunch of stuff I don't know off the top of my head}

I'm sure that sort of command is formatted specifically for Minecraft, but I wonder if it's based on/almost entirely Java in form...

Lily

Just did my merging trick again. :)

Man, I haven't done any programming in almost five years. My old company used Java, so that's mainly what I know. Knew, I should say. I probably couldn't even write a hello world program now.

Skyblade

I'm taking an introductory computer science class in my high school, and it's a lot of excitement :D

And it's Java x)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

BadgerLordFiredrake

IMO, Java has NO readability--I prefer Javascript (not related in any way!)
baby turtle forever

Faiyloe

I am teaching my self I have a computer program that helps me do this stuff but I don't know what language it is in.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

UNKN0WN

My friend is learning C++