News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Childhood Item?

Started by Rosie Willowwater, June 23, 2016, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

One of my most prized possessions when I was around 5 and 6 years old was my Pokemon Silver version for gameboy. My dad was in the army so my family moved around the country a lot. On the long rides in the car from state to state, I vividly remember getting the worst kinks in my neck from bending my head at weird angles to get the light from the street lamps to fall onto my gameboy just long enough for me to see the screen and do my next attack lol.

I also remember thinking I was the best trainer in the world ever since I had a level 83 Meganium. Compare that to later in elementary school where it seemed like everyone and their mother had at least one level 100 pokemon. Oh well.

I wonder where that game's gotten off to. I should really try to find it next time I'm home and get that Meganium to level 100 for the sake of closure haha
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Gravedig time!

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on June 23, 2016, 04:23:46 PM
My Favorite Childhood video game was Putt Putt: Travels Through Time, Best game ever
I loved that one too! I don't have it yet, but I've been expanding my collection of Humongous games the last few Christmasses, and it's only a matter of time.

I had a lot of special items when I was a kid, and a lot of those have stuck around to become valued artifacts today. A few of the highlights:

* A stuffed monkey, Simon, who looks very much like this:

I distinctly remember when I first got Simon. I was probably 7 or so, and was at the mall with my mother and big sister. (They used to go a lot back then, and very frequently I'd get to walk with them for several hours, and play all those kid games -- "Hot lava", which I invented myself -- hide in the clothesracks, etc., while I waited for them to get done so we could go home.)

Anyway, we dropped into a certain store that happened to have a bunch of stuffed monkeys on the rack. I don't remember what set me off, but before long I was in tears over the stuffed monkeys and 'had' to have one. I got worked up enough that my mom actually called home to ask dad if he thought I should get one. (That was a big deal back then -- pre-cell phones and all that.) He said yes, and I got my first and favorite stuffed monkey. He was named after a stuffed monkey that my biggest sister's Indian classmate used to have.

* A green minigolf ball:

One time, probably when I was a little younger than in the last story, we went out on a family excursion to play minigolf (which I don't recall ever happening again after this -- I guess small wonder ;) ). I don't remember this very well, but I'll fill in the blanks the best I can. I picked the green ball, and went along, I assume struggling to learn how to badly play minigolf, with my dad trying his best to teach me how to hold the club.

Anyway, we got through the game uneventfully enough. At the end, though, the ball rolled down the hole and disappeared... and I fell into paroxysms, crying for "my ball, my ball...".

The operator was very understanding of a five or six year old kid's emotional outburst, and actually gave me the ball... and was rewarded for their good deed when I followed up with "my stick...my stick!"

I didn't get to keep the club.

For the record, I don't remember this so well. I'm going by what my parents tell me.

* A plastic Woodstock that looks a little like this:

No grand story to go along with this, except that I really liked the little guy when I was little, took him around everywhere in the house, and was frantic when I lost him. I don't remember whether I found him before I lost him "for good", but eventually (maybe even after we moved) I found him sometime within the last few years. He's now in my box of souvenirs that I mean to get around to putting back on the top of my dressers someday.
« Subject to editing »

Rosie Willowwater

Gonff the Mousethief

James, I have a few stories similar to that, but those are some sweet stories behind them, (I mean, who wouldn't love to see baby James with his money?).

My childhood item that I still own is this really cheap teddy bear I got named Teddy. He was given to me when I was super sick at the age of five with a life threatening phenomena by one of the doctors. It was one of those bears that you would throw in the "Toys for Kids" thing at your local store or something, but I friggin' loved that thing. I never let it leave my side. It got stained, ripped, torn, lost, but my mom knew how much it meant to me and always fixed it. Now, Teddy is up in this shelf above my desk where I keep all of my Redwall books. I can just gaze up and see him there, and it reminds me of how much hope it gave me when I had no idea what was going to happen.

Another stuffed animal I had along with Teddy was a little bunny named Beignet. My grandma bought it for me at Silver Dollar City (If any of you know where that is). I was obsessed with Bunnies at the time, and the thing was just a perfect companion to Teddy. I remember going in for surgery on my nose, and the docotors allowed me to bring Beignet in with me and have him sit and watch me. Today, I named my schnauzer after the Bunny, naming her Beignet. Yeah, I am very fond of my stuffed animals.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Rosie Willowwater

That's sweet Gonff :)   

So I  have this stuffed dog that looks something like this,

Just imagine it much more squished and its 'fur' looks like it just got dropped in a puddle. There is not much of a story to how I got it, but it has helped me through some of my most emotionally tough moments.
I could give you a list of every stuffed animal that just felt special to me, but that would take me hours to put together and I don't think I still remember why I grew that connection with them.

Delthion

I had a stuffed beanie Winnie the Pooh, still have that... ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.