News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

why did they cancel redwall tv series

Started by eualaia, November 15, 2011, 10:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who wants it to continue

redwall tv series continue
57 (90.5%)
redwall doesnt continue
6 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Tam and Martin

I don't know. Maybe alot of them were'nt made.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Lutra

Ungatt, they're out of print.  All the copies that were made were sold.  Unless someone that had bought a copy wants to sell it, they aren't out there.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on April 12, 2013, 11:25:39 PM
Ungatt, they're out of print.  All the copies that were made were sold.  Unless someone that had bought a copy wants to sell it, they aren't out there.
They were on ebay, wich may explain how I saw them. BTW, most of them were used.
Question: Why did they stop making DVD copies of the 2nd and 3rd Seasons and didn't stop making the 1st one? Wouldn't they make more money if they sold all three?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Lutra

Yes, the ones on ebay are used because they sold all of the new copies back in 2005-2006 or so when the dvds were made.  They recently re-released Season 1, that is why there are copies available for a reasonable price.  Phase 4 films has the rights to a lot of Nelvana stuff, but I haven't had much luck in figuring out if they have access to the entire Redwall collection.  Right now it seems they only were allowed to reprint Season 1.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rusvul

Quote from: eualaia on November 16, 2011, 12:36:02 AM
maybe us the peoples of the forum could starta redwall tv fund raiser
Here is where some people attempted to make another movie, for Mossflower, but were unable to get the rights. http://redwall-animation.deviantart.com/

They are currently working on an anthropomorphic animal movie thing, very similar to redwall, set a little later, and with a wider range of animals, called The Heir of Rawnwave. There is a link to that here: http://phoenix-unity.deviantart.com/

Buzz_Bumble

Quotewhy did they cancel redwall tv series

The same reason as always: Fools in management.  :(
The Nielsen and similar ratings systems are incredibly faulty and inaccurate. Unfortunately the fools in network management believe those results and cancel shows that supposedly aren't be watched by "enough" people. Fewer viewers means the management can't charge the advertisers as much ... which is a faulty premise as well since very few adverts are booked for particular timeslots or shows. Advertisers pay for a certain number of broadcasts, with a percentage of them being during "primetime" (it depends on the target audience as to when that is - for kids' products, it's the after-school time slots for example). Many countries are now banning certain types of advertising in kids' show timeslots anyway.

I've dug out the Redwall DVDs and these are what I have. I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

First there's these eight volumes (Region 4) that come in normal DVD cases and, from what I can work out, they are Season 1 and Season 2. I got them a few years ago (they were released here in about 2006), but there's no sign of any further volumes :(:

• Brian Jacques' Redwall
    Nelvana / Alpanim Co-production (copyright 1999)
    Released and distributed under licence in Australia / New Zealand by MRA Entertainment

• Volume 1 episodes: (Running Time: 64 minutes)
      • Cluny the Scourge - Part 1
      • Cluny the Scourge - Part 2
      • Treachery
    • Volume 2 episodes: (Running Time: 64 minutes)
      • Sparra's Kingdom
      • Cluny's Clowns
      • High Standards
    • Volume 3 episodes: (Running Time: 65 minutes)
      • Captain Snow
      • Battle Plans
      • The Visitor
    • Volume 4 episodes: (Running Time: 86 minutes)
      • A Favour Returned
      • Asmodeus
      • Underground
      • The Final Conflict
    • Volume 5 episodes: (Running Time: 65 minutes)
      • Slagar the Slayer
      • The Magician Revealed
      • Where the Little Folk Go
    • Volume 6 episodes: (Running Time: 64 minutes)
      • Found... and Lost
      • To Be a Warrior
      • Ironbeak
    • Volume 7 episodes: (Running Time: 64 minutes)
      • Perils in the Toplands
      • Feathered Friends and Foes
      • The Abyss
    • Volume 8 episodes: (Running Time: 85 minutes)
      • Malkariss
      • Battle
      • Reunited
      • Return to Redwall
Plus there's this one which comes in a blue "kiddy box" with a carry handle on the top. By the look of it it's simply the first four of the above volumes joined together into a "movie". It doesn't say what region, but presumably it's Region 4 as well:

• Brian Jacques' Redwall
    Nelvana / Alpanim Co-production (copyright 1999)
    Released and distributed under licence in Australia / New Zealand by Jigsaw Entertainment and Video Unlimted

Full length feature. Approx. Running Time: 84 minutes plus trailers.

Redwall Abbey is the home of a community of gentle mice, moles, otters and badgers. All seems peaceful in this medieval community when suddenly their peace is shattered when the rats arrive at the Abbey walls. They have come to conquer and destroy, led by the most evil and savage rat of them all - Cluny the Scourge.

War erupts, but during this an unlikely hero emerges - a bumbling young novice monk convinced of his own courage and strength named Matthias.

No one could have predicted that [t]his young mouse would lead the fight against the evil rats and would become the next great defender of Redwall.
(I've just noticed that there's a typo on the box insert of "this" on the last paragraph.)

Lutra

QuoteThe same reason as always: Fools in management.  Sad
The Nielsen and similar ratings systems are incredibly faulty and inaccurate. Unfortunately the fools in network management believe those results and cancel shows that supposedly aren't be watched by "enough" people. Fewer viewers means the management can't charge the advertisers as much ... which is a faulty premise as well since very few adverts are booked for particular timeslots or shows. Advertisers pay for a certain number of broadcasts, with a percentage of them being during "primetime" (it depends on the target audience as to when that is - for kids' products, it's the after-school time slots for example). Many countries are now banning certain types of advertising in kids' show timeslots anyway.

That would be correct if it actually aired in some cable stations like Nickelodeon when the series premiered.  It aired on the Public Broadcasting System in the US, so no advertising there (or very minimal).  Might not be the same for Canada's release, but I can't say I know much about it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Buzz_Bumble

Apart from the Maori-ised version, the show has never played down here in New Zealand at all.  :(

Romsca

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

LordTBT

There have been numerous DVD releases of the TV series internationally. For the full list, see here: http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_TV_Series

The show was canceled just like other shows are canceled each season: ratings. It has been over a decade, and certainly won't be returning. That's not to say that a Redwall TV adaptation couldn't happen again in the future, just that this Nelvana version is totally done.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Never zay never, zere'z nae tellin' ze future. It'z doubtful zat zey may continue it, but nae completely oot o' ze queztion.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lutra

True...never say never....who'd have thunk something like "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" would've had a film adaptation?  So I get it that things could happen, but it certainly won't be with Nelvana, and it probably won't be in the same style.  They're on the CGI bandwagon too these days.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Maudie

I know that this isn't really what we are discussing in this thread anymore, but in my area when they cancelled Redwall TV they replaced it with a very stupid show called Mia and Miguel:P :'(
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Romsca

Maya and Miguel is not a stupid show, IMO, but I think Redwall is WAY better.  I used to watch Maya and Miguel all the time when I was a kid