News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

...guests....

Started by The Witessss, February 13, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Booklover

I don't hate zero. It's possibly the most useful digit!
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Kade Rivok

Nah, that'd be the thumb.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Booklover

We count in base ten because we have ten fingers (including thumbs). That's why digits mean fingers as well as single numbers. But, as the ten digits are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, then that means that if you labelled them from left to right (or right to left, I suppose), with the palms facing you, 0 would be the thumb.

Kade Rivok

I think most would label the ten digits as 1-10, not 0-9.  Especially since the concept of "0" didn't used to exist  :laugh:

Either way, thumbs are cool.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Booklover

10 is not a digit! It's made up of two digits: 1 and 0.

True. The logic was that 'nothing' isn't really a number, as such. Many cultures just used a gap as a place holder, or their system (such as for the Romans) meant they didn't have individual digits. However, if you had 25, it could mean 25, 205, 250, 2005, and so on. Sometimes the menacing could be guessed from context, but not always, so the Babylonians invented zero as a placeholder. The other digits aren't as useful, because you could still have a number system without one of them, it would just be base nine instead of base ten.

Verdauga

Guys, look at what going on! We're distracted again! This is exactly what the guests want!
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Kade Rivok

What you want, you mean.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

Why would this be what I want? This will allow the guests to take over! If I wanted it why would I tell you this!?!?!

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Kade Rivok

A cunning ploy, to be sure.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

<_<
>_>
*Locks Kade in Kotir's dungeons.*

Kade Rivok

Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Verdauga

It wasn't an attack; you can't dodge a non-attack.

Kade Rivok

Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Verdauga on January 16, 2020, 05:49:51 PM
Guys, look at what going on! We're distracted again! This is exactly what the guests want!
*Gasps* I am so ashamed... of ya'll for falling for such a trick.  ;D
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques <br /><br />"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly." <br /><br />"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."<br /><br />~JRR Tolkien<br /><br />Long live the RRR!

Kade Rivok

*Dodges the guest's mental attack that made people forget about this thread.*
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!