News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Annoying Parts in Redwall

Started by Tiria Wildlough, February 05, 2012, 04:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Redwallfan7

I think he means what I mean by team Switzerland. Switzerland is another term to mean that you root for both sides. I'm just like that in some of the books.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Bragoon

I always found that term a bit confusing too, since Switzerland actually claims neutrality, not helping or rooting for both sides, whereas when people use the term they mean it as if they like both sides.  
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Nightfire on March 20, 2012, 06:39:47 PM
Yeah, I agree. Blunt force trauma can kill easily. All it takes is hard enough force. Baseball-bat-to-the-head-kind-of-force, and...........BAM! Yer dead.
If I remember correctly, she threw herself at Badrang, and he picked her up and threw her against the wall. It would depend what part of her hit the wall first.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Well, it never clarified, but I always assumed the head hit first. And if her back hit the wall first, then it would snap her spine, and that would kill her.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tannsrall

Plus Badrang is really powerful for a stoat remember at the beginning when he threw a rock at that one weasel and it almost broke his jaw.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Nightfire on February 13, 2012, 10:02:39 PM
Another thing is that fact in how skinny, half-starved slaves always kill the big, well-fed hordebeasts with weapons.
Well, they would most likely be furious about being in slavery, so they would want revenge, right?
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: WildDoogyPlumm on March 25, 2012, 10:57:39 AM
Quote from: Nightfire on February 13, 2012, 10:02:39 PM
Another thing is that fact in how skinny, half-starved slaves always kill the big, well-fed hordebeasts with weapons.
Well, they would most likely be furious about being in slavery, so they would want revenge, right?
You might be crazy for revenge, have your plans ready, but still not be able to do anything, because you are not strong enough. That doesn't seem to apply to the slaves in Redwall stories.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Revenge is a powerful weapon, It cannot be controled, just look at the badgers of salamandastron, that kind of stuff happens, think about the slavery in the US the slaves were pretty angry, and the work you do while a slave MAKES you strong.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Bragoon

That's a good point, you'd have to be strong enough to do the work they gave to you.  I quite enjoy rowing, and it's not easy to do for a long time.  A rowing crew on a ship would have to be reasonably strong.

Dannflower Reguba

It's nice to see that someone agrees with me.

I got it! I know what irks me about redwall! It has to do with Mariel of Redwall andThe Bellmaker. Guess what it is!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

KaiTheDog

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 29, 2012, 08:51:05 PM
I got it! I know what irks me about redwall! It has to do with Mariel of Redwall andThe Bellmaker. Guess what it is!

Umm... Mariel? Lot's of people don't like her because they see her as a bratty creature, so I can understand if that's what irks you.

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 29, 2012, 06:47:15 PM
Revenge is a powerful weapon, It cannot be controled, just look at the badgers of salamandastron, that kind of stuff happens, think about the slavery in the US the slaves were pretty angry, and the work you do while a slave MAKES you strong.

I agree with this, but the fact of the matter is is that the vermin are trained with their weapons and are wearing some kind of armor. Slaves didn't get their own suit of armor and, powerful or not, would more than likely not know how to use a sword or a bow properly without being taught by one really good teacher in a very short amount of time.

Now, as for my own irks... Dingeye and Thura. I had to put Salamandastron down (and boy was it heavy... get it? Cuz it's a mountain... Tough crowd.) because I just could not take the book seriously anymore. That's probably my fault, because I had just finished A Game of Thrones only a day or two before.

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: KaiTheDog on April 04, 2012, 11:54:39 PM

Umm... Mariel? Lot's of people don't like her because they see her as a bratty creature, so I can understand if that's what irks you.
How is she a bratty character?  I'm sorry, I just don't see that.

QuoteNow, as for my own irks... Dingeye and Thura. I had to put Salamandastron down (and boy was it heavy... get it? Cuz it's a mountain... Tough crowd.) because I just could not take the book seriously anymore.
If you kept reading *SPOILER ALERT* Dingeye and Thura both die.  So if they bothered you it wouldn't be for too long.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

KaiTheDog

Quote from: WildDoogyPlumm on April 05, 2012, 01:33:47 AM
Quote from: KaiTheDog on April 04, 2012, 11:54:39 PM

How is she a bratty character?  I'm sorry, I just don't see that.

I'm not quite sure why either, because I never saw Mariel as a brat but as a young girl (err mousemaid) looking for revenge for what Gabool did to her and her father.

QuoteNow, as for my own irks... Dingeye and Thura. I had to put Salamandastron down (and boy was it heavy... get it? Cuz it's a mountain... Tough crowd.) because I just could not take the book seriously anymore.
If you kept reading *SPOILER ALERT* Dingeye and Thura both die.  So if they bothered you it wouldn't be for too long.
[/quote]

This pleases me more than it should. But like I said afterward, I started reading Salamandastron after I finished A Game of Thrones, which is by far much more mature than any Redwall book, so that probably was one of the reasons why I had to stop reading it.

WildDoogyPlumm

I'm annoyed by all the items or places that play pivotal roles in one book but never show up again.  Like the Doomwyte jewels, the drum from Rakkety Tam, the Salamandastron echo cave from Mossflower, Martin's tomb, etc.