News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Hunger Games discussion

Started by BrookSkimmer, March 23, 2012, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

Dann (the one who is not Andrew) you need to calm it down.  Yes, this is a book that isn't for everyone, but the stuff you've said here towards people is totally unnecessary.  Because I know you'll pop back into this topic, even though you say you won't, cut it out and let the people who like the book talk about it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

gorath

Quote from: Flandor on August 26, 2012, 12:18:52 AM
Dannflor, you ought to be ashamed.  That's no way to speak to anyone.  I'd stop now before you get into real trouble with a mod.
Yep sorry  :-[
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

UNKN0WN

I'm confused, do you have two accounts or something?

Tannsrall

The games part of the movie was flimed close to where I live. Tha capacrona is still there as a tourist attraction.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: Tannsrall on August 26, 2012, 01:45:35 AM
The games part of the movie was flimed close to where I live. Tha capacrona is still there as a tourist attraction.

Whoa!  That's awesome!  Are you a fan?

Rainshadow

Cornucopia?  And that would be awesome to have the games filmed near you!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tannsrall

I read all three books and saw the movie. They were great but I don't to read or see the movie again.
They were both really good, I just don't want to again. Ashvill, only 20 min. Away from were I live.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

Redwallfan7

I want to see the movie. I usually watch the movies first, and then go to the books. I think the Narnia series was the only series where I read the book before watching the movie.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

AbbotAlf0805

I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Rainshadow

Quote from: AbbotAlf0805 on December 01, 2012, 02:55:26 PM
FINNICK ORDAIR!

YES!  He's awesome!  Lol my favorite character in the series!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Dannflower Reguba

Doesn't that make you a little..... you know..... Uneasy? I would flip if a movie about teens killing each other was filmed in my DISTRICT......  ::)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Redwallfan7

Quote from: danflorreguba on December 03, 2012, 12:30:01 AM

Doesn't that make you a little..... you know..... Uneasy? I would flip if a movie about teens killing each other was filmed in my DISTRICT......  ::)
You're missing the point. I don't mean to sound rude here, but it's not like everyone enjoyed killing each other. They were forced to, by President  Snow. The ultimate goal of the books was for Katniss  and Peeta to put an end to it. You also have to remember that THG is set in a period when the government got harder and there was little to no food or water for the districts. It seems disturbing, but that's just the way of it.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dawnwing

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on December 03, 2012, 04:24:11 AM
Quote from: danflorreguba on December 03, 2012, 12:30:01 AM

Doesn't that make you a little..... you know..... Uneasy? I would flip if a movie about teens killing each other was filmed in my DISTRICT......  ::)
You're missing the point. I don't mean to sound rude here, but it's not like everyone enjoyed killing each other. They were forced to, by President  Snow. The ultimate goal of the books was for Katniss  and Peeta to put an end to it. You also have to remember that THG is set in a period when the government got harder and there was little to no food or water for the districts. It seems disturbing, but that's just the way of it.
This, and the fact that the point of the books/movie is to NOT be entertained by the fighting.  Have you even read or seen them?  In the movie they use jerky camera action or offscreen action to obscure it and they do not linger over it.  It's treated with disgust and horror.  And there are several reasons for this:
- One big point of the book series is to make a statement about our culture, how we're so desensitized to violent television/etc.  If it were all about adults, people would just brush it off as violent movie out there, without realizing the message behind it, whereas by having children in their place, it makes people go, "This is horrible!  Wait, there are lots of movies that are violent like this, so what makes adult violence more acceptable and children violence worse? They're both bad."  The Capitol citizens, loving all the violence, is satirical of this.
- It's based on Greek Mythology.  When some people lost a battle, they were forced to send a bunch of their children into the Labyrinth to face the Minotaur.  Also, in real life, there were such things as gladiator arenas.  So it's not like such things are unheard of.
- Another main point of the series is war and how it affects those involved, particularly youth.  This is relevant in today's society, with war going on.  Katniss and Peeta are affected for life by what happens to them in the arena and afterward, and the same with everyone else too.  Even though Katniss' sister was safe at home all along, even she is changed and forced to mature beyond her years.  The end of the series makes it clear that while war can cause unspeakable horrors, and it will take a long time for those involved to heal, the healing is beginning and there's hope for the future.

The point of the series is certainly NOT "kids killing each other" and being entertained by the violence.  It's rather the opposite, and it's a series that reflects on certain parts of today's society and really makes you think.  It's a lot deeper than many other teen books out there nowadays.

phoenixfoden

Danflor has a good point.if i started a thread about grand theft auto would it be taken down?probly yes.