What would've been the most likely end to the Redwall series?

Started by SandyB, June 05, 2012, 05:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

About a few months ago, I was conversing with my friend's boyfriend - who also a Redwall fan - and we were discussing what wouldv'e been the most logical conclusion to the Redwall mythos?

We reflected on a few ideas. Such as: A plague or a famine could've forced the Redwallers to leave (just like what happened at Loamhedge).

Salamandastron could've been DORMANT instead of extinct and done a Krakatoa (exploded) burying Redwall Abbey under tons of volcanic ash.

Or the Abbey could've just surrendered to the sink-hole that buried Kotir Castle (which Redwall itself was built over - as mentioned in "Long Patrol").

Discuss...
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

Matthias720

My personal opinion is that an earthquake would destroy the Abbey. In the aftermath, the former residents would rise up and rebuild the Abbey with the old stones, as well as new ones dug up from the quarry. The new Abbey would then herald a new era for Redwall, and like the end of Narnia's 'The Last Battle', the end is only the beginning for all new adventures.

Flandor

I think it'd be very possible for the Abbey to succumb to a vermin invasion at some point.  The spirit of Martin can only do so much to protect it, and surely the day could come that the Abbey was conquered.  However, in that situation I believe goodbeasts would eventually recapture their home.

An earthquake is certainly also likely, as is the thought of more of the Abbey falling into the sinkhole. We already saw one wall collapse due to that in the Long Patrol.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

It wasn't a sinkhole so much as unsound building ground, and there is no evidence for tectonic plates (spelling?) to be present, this isn't earth we're talking of hear, this is a whole new world.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 05, 2012, 09:11:18 PM
It wasn't a sinkhole so much as unsound building ground, and there is no evidence for tectonic plates (spelling?) to be present, this isn't earth we're talking of hear, this is a whole new world.

There were loads of earthquakes in the Southern lands by Loamhedge/Malkariss.  And mountain ranges and volcanoes, which there are a lot of in the Redwall world, are formed by plates pushing together.  Why is an earthquake implausible to you if it's happened before in the story world?
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

Oops, forgot about the "Dancing hillside"  :D. Okay so there are earthquakes, but by all sound reasoning, if Loamhedge was on the tectonic plates, wouldn't that mean that Redwall Abbey is somewhere around the center of its' plate?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

gorath

Exactly. I think that a flood from the River Moss over flows it.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Icefire

Oh, what a sad thought....a fascinating one, though!

Let's see...I agree with the dormant volcano idea.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Icefire

I also agree with the abbey collapsing due to unsound foundations....although it seems like that would have been fixed earlier.....and that they just would have rebuilt the abbey elsewhere....

Firehawke

I think the most likely end is that it would keep going with no concrete end.
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

cicizhang01

Call me Shadow, just a lone shadow in the quiet night...

Icefire

Quote from: Firehawke on June 06, 2012, 07:05:40 PM
I think the most likely end is that it would keep going with no concrete end.
Haha! EXACTLY!

AbbotAlf0805

I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Tiria Wildlough

No, I don't think it ended. I think it just kept on going.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.