News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

Doctor Who Thread (Rebooted Series or Doctors 9+)

Started by AxeHound, October 15, 2012, 04:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 27, 2013, 04:04:33 PM
Meh. Well, pardon my small knowledge of Doctor Who seasons and stuff. When I say episode two, I mean episode two of the seasons Netflix has, which begins with the ninth doctor. I think.

Ah, yes, I refer to it as that.  I'm TRYING to watch the classic series, but I started in the middle of the first Doctor, so it's a little confuzzling.  ;)  But, on the plus side, I started on the episode with the Daleks.  The Daleks are awesome!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Rusvul

Uhh, EXTERMINATE? I haven't seen any episodes with Daleks yet. I don't want an answer to this, but I'm wondering if the Time War was against the Daleks?

Rainshadow

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 27, 2013, 05:36:07 PM
Uhh, EXTERMINATE? I haven't seen any episodes with Daleks yet. I don't want an answer to this, but I'm wondering if the Time War was against the Daleks?

Answer
Yes, the Time War was the Time Lords against the Daleks.  (Forgive me (and please correct me) if I'm wrong, but) The Doctor killed all of the Time Lords and the Daleks, being the lone person who survived the Time War.  At times he's called himself the 'victor' (which creeps me out).
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Buzz_Bumble

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a "complaint". I was trying to say there is more Doctor Who before that (in fact, there's more before that then there is after it), which you may or may not want to dig out and watch as well ... just don't bother with the abysmal Americanised so-called Doctor Who movie starring Paul McGann, it's complete drivel. There's also a couple of animated shows and a huge pile of stories in novels, comic books, and audio books, plus games and puzzles on the BBC website. :)

Then there's the spin-off TV shows:
  • K-9 - aimed at younger kids
  • The Adventures of Sarah Jane - aimed at younger kids (has the Doctor guest starring at least once)
  • Torchwood - aimed at older kids / adults
There's also a new show by the same people as The Adventures of Sarah Jane, but not connected to the Doctor Who universe (yet?) called Wizards vs Aliens.

Firehawke

They've used a couple of scripts that had been meant for SJA, but sadly were not able to be produced.  Here in the US, Hub started airing WvA in June, but just aired a couple...I hope they start showing them again soon!

Love the fact that they are planning a simulcast!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Firehawke on July 29, 2013, 07:07:28 PM
Love the fact that they are planning a simulcast!

Problem is that they're claiming on it being in 200 countries ... but there aren't 200 countries on the planet that would show Doctor Who.  :)

Firehawke

Is anyone else going to watch Doctor Who Live tomorrow?????
Can't wait to see who the next Doctor is!

Lily

I would like to watch it live, but it'll be 3am where I am. I'll just have to wait until I get up for the news. I'm excited, though. :D

Rusvul

I watched up to the first episode with the Dalek. (First Dalek with the Ninth Doctor, at least)
Which means I watched past the one with the face-unzipping aliens. Two questions:
Why would they use earth-zippers? Surely if they have a compressor that works without killing them, they could also have some kind of thing which opens with a touch?
Also, why would they use an earth swear? They're aliens from another planet! Surely they have alien-swears?

And then the Dalek, wow. Poor Dalek. I would rather be dead than a Dalek. How awful it must be for your entire purpose in life be to kill things. I do like how the lights on it's 'head' flash as it speaks :D

psybox

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on August 04, 2013, 02:32:37 PM
I watched up to the first episode with the Dalek. (First Dalek with the Ninth Doctor, at least)
Which means I watched past the one with the face-unzipping aliens. Two questions:
Why would they use earth-zippers? Surely if they have a compressor that works without killing them, they could also have some kind of thing which opens with a touch?
Simplicity, They probably had a lower budget back then, so they might have had to settle for zippers, I don't remember those episodes well enough to say for sure.
Also, why would they use an earth swear? They're aliens from another planet! Surely they have alien-swears?
They've probably been living on earth in disguise for a while, it could have just been habit.
And then the Dalek, wow. Poor Dalek. I would rather be dead than a Dalek. How awful it must be for your entire purpose in life be to kill things.
If you were a dalek you probably wouldn't care, every emotion they have has been removed except hatred of any living thing that isn't a dalek.  The only reason why that Dalek could even be concidered an exception is because its DNA was mixed with Rose Tyler's.
Quote from: rusvulthesaber on August 04, 2013, 02:32:37 PMI do like how the lights on it's 'head' flash as it speaks :D
Okay.

Rainshadow

I heard on the news who the next Doctor is.  Frankly, I'm a bit surprised they chose an older gentleman as the Doctor, but I'm certainly glad they didn't decide to make him a her!

The Twelfth Doctor
The actor is Peter Capaldi.

At least, that's what I've heard.  I'm guessing that I heard correctly, though, 'cause it's all over the internet.  ;)  Apparently he's Scottish, so we might be getting a Scottish Doctor.  Well, unless he can speak with a British accent, that is.
[close]

DanielofRedwall

So glad they picked an older Doctor. The last 2 Doctors have been great (especially Tennant), but I got a bit sick of all the companions falling in love with the Doctor. I feel like the new Doctor will bring a more fatherly relationship like the classic series. In fact, I hope they go back to the more classic-style show in general, where they actually EXPLORE THE UNIVERSE rather than just Earth.

...And anyone else getting darker and edgier vibes from the new Doctor? I hope they make a darker Doctor, that would be really cool. I also hope he keeps his Scottish accent. ;)

People are saying the new Doctor is TOO old though. They should really read up on their Doctor Who history.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Firehawke

I love the fact that it's an older actor!!!
And for people who think that he looks familiar...go back and rewatch Fires of Pompeii from Series 4  :D

And speaking of Doctors with accents...has anybody seen an interview with David Tennant???  I was shocked hearing his natural accent the first time!

Rainshadow

Quote from: Firehawke on August 06, 2013, 06:58:13 PM
And speaking of Doctors with accents...has anybody seen an interview with David Tennant???  I was shocked hearing his natural accent the first time!

I know!  In all the stuff I've seen him in (which is two things:  Doctor Who and The Decoy Bride <3), he's had a British accent, so when I heard him in an interview, I was really surprised!

Rainshadow