News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Topic: Watership Down

Started by Tam and Martin, November 09, 2012, 11:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

Shameless bump for the WSD fans.

Fiver's Honeycomb has gone through some major changes and we're hoping 2014 is a year of rebirth and new activity after being kind of stagnate and stale for the past year (largely my fault).  Stop on by if you haven't already.

http://honeycomb.highlonelyhills.com  (notice the new URL too!)  ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

MeadowR

^ Looks a nicely presented forum! :D Think I've probably joined way too many forums lately...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Faiyloe

OH! I love that book actually my interest in Redwall was what got me reading it.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Lutra

*another shameless bump from me*

New staff, new look, and sailing off into the future. :)  If you're still into Watership Down and are interesting in discussing it, we have the place for you.

http://honeycomb.highlonelyhills.com
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Unimaginative

I read the book when I was eight. One of the best books I've ever read. I always liked Silver the best.

I'll probably reread for the fourth time before joining the Forum.
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

MeadowR

If people aren't already aware, there's to be a new BBC adaptation of the novel. I don't know any more details than that, but the fact it could be shown on BBC1 rather than Children's BBC, shows they could actually make it quite serious and not just for children.

It's nice it's being considered again, however it's hardly the novel with the most need for being adapted after already a lovely film and (passable) TV series! I will certainly be looking out for more news with interest, though. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Blaggut

I watched some of the first episode, but it appeared to be one of those where no one dies. Or at least, none of the "good guys"

I'll probably watch more of it, but The Animals Of Farthing wood will always have a special place in my heart...
~Just a soft space boi~

DanielofRedwall

Bumping - anyone seen the new Netflix miniseries? Thoughts?

I've just finished the first episode. I like the adaption script-wise, and there is some great voice acting. The animation is borderline uncanny valley, though, which is slightly off-putting. But mostly enjoy it overall, if only for the magic of the book.
Received mostly negative reviews.

MeganTheRecorderOfRedwall

I never read the book but I do remember pretty much being forced to watch the animated film when I was in Primary School. I couldn't handle very violent films very well when I was younger. I do still struggle to watch films with lots of blood to this day but it was much worse when I was little. So I remember just crying through most it. I did tell the teacher that I struggle with films like that but she still made me sit through it.  :( :( But I would probably be fine with it if I watched it again now since I'm older though ^-^ ^-^.

I know this thread was about the book but I just felt like sharing that.

Jukka the Sling

I haven't seen the new miniseries yet - I didn't know it was already out!  The trailer's animation looked odd, but I'm willing to give it a chance, mainly 'cause of the cast.

@MeganTheRecorderOfRedwall  The film is really unsettling, I agree.  I like the 90's TV show much better; you should check it out if you haven't already!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ashleg

Saw the new miniseries and enjoyed it, though the film is still my favorite adaptation (despite the fact I have not seen the 1990s show and thus can't give my opinion on that.)

Captain Orchis was cool in the miniseries.

MeadowR

Gosh, I reported the new series being a thing back in summer of 2014? :o How times flies by...

Anyway, I'd say the miniseries is worth a watch. It's nothing amazing, but it's certainly not terrible! :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Grond

Quote from: MeganTheRecorderOfRedwall on January 01, 2019, 09:09:30 PM
I never read the book but I do remember pretty much being forced to watch the animated film when I was in Primary School. I couldn't handle very violent films very well when I was younger. I do still struggle to watch films with lots of blood to this day but it was much worse when I was little. So I remember just crying through most it. I did tell the teacher that I struggle with films like that but she still made me sit through it.  :( :( But I would probably be fine with it if I watched it again now since I'm older though ^-^ ^-^.

I know this thread was about the book but I just felt like sharing that.

In elementary school I think it was grade 5 I had this teacher who was really into animal rights, anti cruelty (she might have even been a vegan or vegetarian now that I think about it) etc.... So she showed us a cartoon/animated movie called Plague Dogs. I remember like literally half the class had nightmares for weeks and even some of the parents complained to the principal about it. I did find it strange though how if a movie or show has animal, in particular "dog abuse or cruelty" it totally horrifies people. But movies, shows etc... that show humans getting killed, tortured, mutilated etc... are fine. I think the point of her showing us that movie was to turn us against animal experimentation although I cant say it had that effect on me- I didn't find it particularly disturbing from what I remember....

Jukka the Sling

I saw that movie!  The original book was written by the author of Watership Down.  The movie was kinda dark, from what I recall.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

MeadowR

Whereas Watership Down is seen as passably a children's book, as Adams read it first to his daughters, The Plague Dogs is certainly more of an 'adult' book.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014