Martin the Warrior-Most well-written Redwall book?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, February 26, 2013, 01:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think that Martin the Warrior is one of the most well-written Redwall book?

Yes! Definautly!
7 (22.6%)
No, I don't.
6 (19.4%)
Not shure....
18 (58.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Orinoco

Let me get this out of the way first: I do not like Rose. At all.
Other than that, Martin the Warrior is definitely one of the best written, but not really the best as far as plot and characters (though I am very fond of Badrang and Wulpp).
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

WarriorOfMossflower

Ahem...
May I just point out that almost all Redwall books are well-written? I did like Martin the Warrior, even though Rose's death made me depressed for a while. IMO, it was not the greatest of books that Brian wrote, but it was still fairly good.
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

Icefire

I love this book, but it's been too long for me to really remember whether it's the best written or not. I thought it was a great story even if there was quite a bit that's unbelievable even in the world of Redwall. I would add to the list Rose's ability to shriek like a freaky bird...really? I'm not one of the people who thinks she's totally a mary sue, but that's definitely a stretch.
@Dan: Do you have issues with Taggerung, too? Just curious...
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lutra

Martin the Warrior is definitely a favorite of mine.  Most-well written?  Where did you hear that?  That's totally up to the opinion of the reader whether or not they feel it was a good story.  Most have a general feeling that the earlier books may have been well written because they are devoid of generally predictable plots.  That doesn't mean that they all agree Martin the Warrior is the best one of them all.  I particularly like Mossflower for its storytelling.

So....ask twenty people this question, you probably will get twenty different answers. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on March 02, 2013, 11:52:26 AM
Martin the Warrior is definitely a favorite of mine.  Most-well written?  Where did you hear that?  That's totally up to the opinion of the reader whether or not they feel it was a good story.  Most have a general feeling that the earlier books may have been well written because they are devoid of generally predictable plots.  That doesn't mean that they all agree Martin the Warrior is the best one of them all.  I particularly like Mossflower for its storytelling.

So....ask twenty people this question, you probably will get twenty different answers. ;)
To the question of were I heard it: I read about it on the Redwall wiki, a trusted website.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Lutra

Trusted yes, but it is still an opinion of what is good writing. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Icefire on March 02, 2013, 06:20:06 AM
I love this book, but it's been too long for me to really remember whether it's the best written or not. I thought it was a great story even if there was quite a bit that's unbelievable even in the world of Redwall. I would add to the list Rose's ability to shriek like a freaky bird...really? I'm not one of the people who thinks she's totally a mary sue, but that's definitely a stretch.

Taggerung? No, I really liked that one (Rillflag's death was rather deppressing though  :() Is that why you were asking? Besides Marlfox, I really enjoyed Salamandastron, Mossflower, and Doomwyte... Probably one of the strangest looking lists I know.  ;)
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 27, 2013, 07:33:57 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on February 27, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Ungatt, did you even read the post? I didn't get specific but it doesn't take much thinking to notice. The pygmy shrews, the squirrels on the mountain, every beast was just too easy to deal with. Shrews are incredibly stubborn, I just plain out don't see them 1.) letting Martin go, and 2.) helping with Marshank. I find much of the story to be unbelievable. The bees vs. Martin, Rose, and Grumm. Whatever that monster thing was that the rabbits made. I can't believe that the stinkin vole lasted as long as he did (side note).

All in all, I was not happy with the book. The loss of Felldoh, and the hedgehog slave made it all the worse.
It can be pointed out that the shrews that appear in Martin the Warrior are Not the Gousim shrews, who appear quite a few times later one; they were pigmy shrews. Since they were different tribes, there were bound to be some differences in cooroporation. Also, all shrews that appear throuout the Redwall series arn't really that stubborn. And with the time of death with "the stinking vole", not every character can die at the beginning. And the hedghog slave, why, he sacrificed up his life to help others! I don't see how you can't not like him the least bit, or any other character in Martin the Warrior! Oh, and I did read your post, just to say.

I too loved the hedgehog, that's why I said the book was the worse for it.  ;) I loved Felldoh, and Rose, Grumm was a great character, Badrang made a decent villain. I liked quite a few of the characters in that book, not sure why think I don't... Am I misinterpreting something? AS far as the vole, just saying I really hated him and wished he'd died sooner. Also, I pointed out Pygmy for a reason, they were even more stubborn than Guosim, that's why I found the cooperation a little hard to believe.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Icefire

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 03, 2013, 08:38:40 PM

Taggerung? No, I really liked that one (Rillflag's death was rather deppressing though  :() Is that why you were asking? Besides Marlfox, I really enjoyed Salamandastron, Mossflower, and Doomwyte... Probably one of the strangest looking lists I know.  ;)
No, I was asking because I know people who have issues with Taggerung being a good guy and all that after being raised by evil creatures. They just don't see that book as "believable." Typically, I see/hear people having issues with Martin the Warrior, Loamhedge, Taggerung, High Rhulain, and Doomwyte more than the other books. Your arguments reminded me of those I've heard regarding Taggerung. That's all. :)
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Icefire on March 03, 2013, 10:44:34 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on March 03, 2013, 08:38:40 PM

No, I was asking because I know people who have issues with Taggerung being a good guy and all that after being raised by evil creatures. They just don't see that book as "believable." Typically, I see/hear people having issues with Martin the Warrior, Loamhedge, Taggerung, High Rhulain, and Doomwyte more than the other books. Your arguments reminded me of those I've heard regarding Taggerung. That's all. :)

Oh, okay.  :)

I really liked that. It showed a great character trait in Deyna. I enjoyed the story, and the different scenarios were actually quite realistic (all those hedgehogs! Sheesh!  :D). Nimbalo was the exception, I found him niether likeable, or realistic... But that's just personal opinion, others might be able to relate to Nimbalo in ways I can't... This is getting kind of off topic though, so I'm going stop.  :D
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: 321tumbler on February 26, 2013, 01:44:49 PM
It's very good and I consider it pretty high on the list, but it's not the best.
I'm not trying to say thats its the best; I'm trying to say that it's one of the most well-written Redwall books.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Iamthatis

I dont know havent got that far yet but I will let you all know
IAMTHATIS MY SWORD SHALL WEILD FOR ME
RIP BRIAN JACQUES

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Shadowed One

I personally don't like it as much as some of the other ones, but it isn't terrible. However, in my opinion the worst Redwall book is either Doomwyte or Eulalia.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc