News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Card Game

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, July 13, 2011, 11:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Can you do one of Rawnblade?
Oh, I was just w ondering, where did you get the pictures?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

First off, wonderful job on the cards; I think you're tackling a tough job creating a game from scratch.

A couple of critical suggestions:

1.) I tried reading the rules for playing.  They're confusing as ever.  Rolling a dice affect this number, which changes this number and determines if you attack or if you don't.... just  ??? ??? ???  I don't think it has to be this complicated.  Make the game along the lines of the classic card game War where the higher number wins.  Set up an army based on the characters you have, higher stats wipe out lower stats.

2.) Some of the images are very pixelated, especially the ones from the tv series.  I don't think its my screen resolution, but it is something I'm noticing on the full-sized images.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

James Gryphon

Quote from: Lutra on July 24, 2011, 02:54:21 PM
1.) I tried reading the rules for playing.  They're confusing as ever.  Rolling a dice affect this number, which changes this number and determines if you attack or if you don't....
Well, it really isn't that complicated in the grand scheme of things (though I admit it would be nice to have a full copy of the manual).

Using dice allows there to be a random outcome for some fights, which I think adds a little to the interest factor -- it isn't realistic that if you put two characters against each other 10,000 times, that the same one would win each and every fight. Not having a clear hierarchy can make things more interesting.

Also, War is a very poor game to model a card game after, just because it lacks any decision-making; the only thing a player can do to affect the game is to put the cards back in a pile in a certain order. It's an okay time-waster, but there are better games that require less equipment -- like Rock-Paper-Scissors, which at least has a certain psychological aspect to it.

2.) Some of the images are very pixelated, especially the ones from the tv series.  I don't think its my screen resolution, but it is something I'm noticing on the full-sized images.
The card pictures (and this will answer Tiria's question about the pictures) are usually taken from either the books or the TV series -- and I suspect that most of those are actually picked up from the Redwall wiki. I know that's where I got the ones for Tsarmina and Argulor, and I suspect that's likely where a lot of the others come from too.

My cards use the original pictures at their normal resolution, and don't bother trying to blow them up any, but the original cards are often scaled up to fill in the black box -- this can make for a better-looking picture, but if it's too much of an increase, it can make it look a bit pixellated; it's a tradeoff.
« Subject to editing »

Matthias720

@HiaG: I don't want to bog you down with requests, but I personally would love to see a card for Lord Stonepaw (I'm reading Lord Brocktree and it seems right to memorialize him).

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

When I find time I'll get to work on those request.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Gonff

I would also like Gonff and Russa Nodrey, but I relize you have a lot of requests right now.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

(Edited)
Nay a problem. Someone requested Russa before, and she's almost done; and someone already asked for Gonff, so a card of him is currently being made.

Here's Russa Nodrey:

As to Gonff and the others, the cards have been made but they only have the pictures and names on them so far. When I find the time I'll put their stats and effect/description/quote/etc. on them too!

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lutra

To James: I guess if I actually saw it in play I probably would understand it better. :) It looks confusing until you know what you're doing.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

That's the case with most games.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Here's Gonff:

Personally ah like the effect. Ah think it suits him perfectly.  :)

And here's Slothunog:

Captain Tammo

Ok I have to say, every time I log onto this site, this is the first page I come to to see what new cards you've come up with. You're doing great keep it up! ;D
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Quick question: If yellow is for lightanoids, what's green for? Most of the existing good characters use green instead of yellow, so I'm kind of wondering.

Might try to whip up a quick Boar, ongoing with the Mossflower theme, since I like him.
« Subject to editing »

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 25, 2011, 08:30:10 PM
Quick question: If yellow is for lightanoids, what's green for? Most of the existing good characters use green instead of yellow, so I'm kind of wondering.

Might try to whip up a quick Boar, ongoing with the Mossflower theme, since I like him.

Green is for Beastanoids. And sure!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

James Gryphon

Ah, looks a lot like the one I had going, albeit a little more balanced. ;)
« Subject to editing »