News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

MOST HOSTILE CHARACTER

Started by martins#1fan, July 18, 2011, 09:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martins#1fan

Personally I think it's Vilu Daskar and Tsarmina Greeneyes, a tie because Tsarmina is ruthless and merciless.
Vilu because he's a MAD pirate who's also merciless, and laughs while killing people.  :'(
( I hate Vilu )  >:( >:(. Those were the bad peeps.
Now the good ones......... In battle, Martin straightaway because he's just an AWWWSOME fighter.
And you can't leave out Rakkety Tam, simply because he gets Martin's sword, and he's also a pretty good fighter.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Captain Tammo

Tsarmina Was defiantly hostile. Then again, pretty much every redwall villain was hostile. But mainly Tsarmina in my opinion
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Ferahgo would notably brighten up when he was about to kill or torment someone. He also skinned his victims, which isn't really mentioned that much -- but puts him in a class of brutality up with Gulo.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Dumble.

That mousbabe would've attacked a band of foxes, a great eagle and an army of crows for Redwall's sake.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 19, 2011, 12:49:51 AM
Dumble.

That mousbabe would've attacked a band of foxes, a great eagle and an army of crows for Redwall's sake.
Where's he from?
I think Gulo the Savage is definitely hostile, but my favourite villain is Tsarmina.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

James Gryphon

QuoteWhere's he from?
Unless I'm dead wrong, Dumble is the dibbun that accompanied Thrugg the otter in Salamandastron, to acquire the Flowers of Icetor.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

No, you're correct. He travelled with Thrugg, best journeyers ever in Redwall
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Tiria

Ragga Bol was also pretty hostile.  And they had the whole phsychic thing going on with him and the badger (who's name I can't remember right now).   Thrugg and Dumble are some of my favorite characters!  And Thrugganne is pretty cool, too. :)

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 19, 2011, 07:58:57 AM
QuoteWhere's he from?
Unless I'm dead wrong, Dumble is the dibbun that accompanied Thrugg the otter in Salamandastron, to acquire the Flowers of Icetor.
I haven't read Salamandastron.
Thanks all the same!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Luath

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 19, 2011, 12:49:51 AM
Dumble.

Forget Samkim and Urthstripe! That little mousebabe is the greatest warrior in "Salamandastron"!!
"Dumble The Undaunted" I Like It !!!!  

Storm

Sister May! The sweet, harmless sister who would do anything to protect redwall. This includes biting all the way through Ironbeak's leg and drugging strawberries.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Lutra

I always saw Tsarminia from Mossflower as ruthless.  No love for her father or brother.  Basically nobody.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

sabretache5611

...Gulo....a cannibalistic wolverine that charges just about everything that he doestn' like or just literally will have u for dinner if he doesnt' like u, you  can't get any more hostile than that!
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Captain Tammo

Yes gulo was hostile. But it was also one of the only two things about him, if you take away his size and cannibalism, you'd just have a stupid vermin with a bad temper.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

If you ask me, Gulo is overrated...

In all of the topics, it seems that Gulo comes up basically because he's a wolverine -- not for any other reason. It doesn't seem to stick that Ferahgo is torturing beasts with his knives (which would label him a perfect monster if he was a human), or that Cluny killed thousands of creatures over the years for really no good reason other than because he felt like doing it, or Tsarmina forcing Ashleg (who's crippled) to stay ahead of spear-wielding troops on parade, and talking about using children as hostages and putting everyone into slave labor... because Gulo happens to eat smaller creatures (which isn't technically unique; all the lizards in the series do the same thing) and happens to be a wolverine (which was new), he gets a lot of credit.

The fact is, though, that for me, he isn't the most interesting villain. The good guys run circles around him all story long, until he finally gets lucky and manages to capture Doogy Plumm. And the fact that he's so large, on the other hand, prevents him from showing any particular skill; it's solely his species that characterizes him.

It occurred to me reading Mariel of Redwall that every one of the villains were searats -- no stoats, weasels, or anything. And you know, I think I almost like it better that way, because it means the top villains, like Gabool, Graypatch, etc., got there by being the best at what they do. There wasn't any size factor that contributed to it; they just were the smartest and the most skilled. I think that book in particular does a great job of showing sea rat life, and how they have to fight and use what they have to stay in power... which I think is more interesting than a villain who rules solely because they're the biggest.

I still think Gulo's a memorable villain, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's all that.
« Subject to editing »