News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Redwall Table-Top RPG

Started by WoodlandWarrior, May 13, 2013, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What style of table-top RPG interests you the most?

D6 Rules Light
1 (7.7%)
D20 Open License
5 (38.5%)
Diceless-Story System
4 (30.8%)
Point Buy System
2 (15.4%)
Percentile Based
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

WoodlandWarrior

Hey folks,

This has been something I've been toying with for quite sometime now.  I would like to create a Redwall themed RPG for the table-top.  However, I know that licensing could be an issue so it would more than likely be a generic game with much inspiration from the Redwall series.

The first thing I'd love to hammer out is the kind of mechanics to base the game on, hence the poll.

Thank you.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Thomas Barkshield

Are you talking about creating our own game, with our own mechanics? If so, I'm in!

KitrallStreamrippler

I'm not too good at making games, but I want to contribute as much as I can.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah'm in, ah love ziz kind o' ztuff!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

WoodlandWarrior

Well it would be our own game yes, the mechanics, while with some home brewing and house ruling would make it "our own", I'd go by the open license in rpgs of using the base rules set and then change things here and there to our likes and wants.

It is certainly a large thing to take on, but I love role playing games and love Redwall.  The two are a most perfect fit.  But just know, for licensing, it would not be called a Redwall rpg, but it would be a more....vanilla world.

Such as no Redwall Abbey but perhaps some other structure akin to it.  As of right now I want to get a feeling of what rules people are familiar with and enjoy.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Thomas Barkshield

wait, if you're worried about licensing do you mean we would be selling these rules?

WoodlandWarrior

No, I don't plan to sell it at all.  But if I shared it online eventually, sometimes you may have to take it down if you infringe on copyright laws.

Thomas Barkshield

WoodlandWarrior

Started piecing the bits together...I shall post soon!

KitrallStreamrippler

Awesome! I eagerly await that post.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

WoodlandWarrior

Ok...so far I have a few thoughts on classes and such.

First I was thinking of the core classes being as follows:

Warrior
Thief
Historian
Brother/Sister

Now these fall in line with regular core classes of many fantasy rpgs.  However, Redwall doesn't really have magic of arcane or divine natures.

So a Warrior, would typically be a no nonsense fighter but with a few differences since the warriors in Redwall are special.

A thief would be very much akin to Gonff.  So not really the backstabbing type of thief, but good at moving silently and hiding.  I would say more like a cross between a bard and rogue.

A Historian would be filling the role of a fantasy rpgs wizard.  However, he would have no magic.  As we know the historians in Redwall are very learned and relied upon to find out the secrets and unravel mysteries that the good beasts come upon.  So instead of magic they would have a variety of practical skills in scholarly fields and perhaps certain abilities like bardic knowledge.

A brother/sister would fill the role of the cleric, but again would not have magic.  They would have the natural ability to heal good beasts with herbs and salves.

Now those are just my thoughts...on what the classes would be like if going for a straight redwall feel....however, we can add magic if people feel strongly about it?

KitrallStreamrippler

Those are great! (And no, magic is NOT necessary. It wouldn't feel right...)

Thomas Barkshield

Those look good! I to agree magic is not required. I, however, would add another class, that being woodlander. They could have very basic fighting skills, and a good knowledge of mossflower to begin with. Does anybody perhaps want to add some cooking mechanics?

WoodlandWarrior

Ah Woodlander is a good class...sort of like a ranger?  And yes, an in depth cooking skill is a must.  Also, skills of singing and poetry should be more involved than just what they are normally within D&D.

So far....for races:

Badger +2 Str  -1 Chr  -1 Int  (Strong, gruff, and quick to react)

Mouse +1 Wis +1 Con -1 Str -1 Dex (Strong of body and heart, but lacking in physical areas)

Squirrel +1 Dex -1 Wis  (Agile, yet can be arrogant and stubborn)

Hare +1 Dex  +1 Con  -1 Chr  -1 Int  (Quick and tough, yet their love of food and personality can be abrasive)

Otter  +1 Dex -1 Chr (Nimble and quick, though a tad rash)

Thoughts, changes?

KitrallStreamrippler

It's coming along great! The only thing I thought of is that otters actually seem to be fairly charismatic in the books. (That's probably just my perception of them, though...)