News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

The Audiobook Appreciation Thread

Started by JangoCoolguy, February 07, 2014, 03:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JangoCoolguy

Not sure if this has been done before, but I felt like making a thread dedicated to the Audiobooks.

I'll start by saying I like the acted out ones where Brian narrates while other play the characters. Even Tales I don't like (Triss, Loamheadge, etc.) are made better by the earnest, amusing performances by the readers/performers and Billy Maher's music.

Here are samples via Audible:

http://www.audible.com/series/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_1srSrs_sa?asin=B006K1R4B6

There are also abridged ones with Brian reading solo. In fact the only tale in the series that DIDN'T get an audiobook was the The Rogue Crew

I really wish they'd taken a middle ground and made them acted and abridged to cut some corners to make them shorter for easier listening and maybe afford more performers or some sound effects.

What about you guys? How many of you have heard some of these? And what did you think?  :)

Tam and Martin

I love the audiobooks. They are a great addition to the series though I would say, read the books first. I had a HARD time listening to the redwall book Mossflower because, I listened to the audio before I red the book.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

I will say that the audiobooks are really well done. I really enjoyed listening to them, songs and all.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

The songs are some of the best parts! It is nice to hear how Brian imagine's the songs.

Vilu Daskar

I've heard all the unabridged one and I like them.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

rachel25

My dad is getting 21 of the redwall books on audio for me. He signed up to a site, where you can download audio books.
I've listened to one of the redwall audiobooks. I really think the people acting the characters bring the story to life.  :)

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on February 08, 2014, 10:24:52 PM
The songs are some of the best parts! It is nice to hear how Brian imagine's the songs.
Did BJ really make the tunes for the songs?

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 11, 2014, 12:15:16 AM
Quote from: Tam and Martin on February 08, 2014, 10:24:52 PM
Did BJ really make the tunes for the songs?

The songs are already there in the books, but it's Mr. Maher who deserves credit for the tunes & orchestrations :)

Shoot, even when the singing sucks, the music is still pretty darn good!   ;D

Dawnwing

The audiobooks are fantastic.  I got almost all of my library's cassette tape collection when they put them out of circulation, so now I can listen to them whenever I want.  It definitely does bring the story to life, and the music (both the songs and the in-between-chapter clips) is excellent.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 11, 2014, 02:09:53 AM
Shoot, even when the singing sucks, the music is still pretty darn good!   ;D
Well, I guess that some of the singing was pretty weird (which would be the singer's fault), but the music is still exellent!

Firehawke

I love the audiobooks!  I just wish that all of the books had been recorded!  Does anyone know if there are any plans to finish them up???
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Firehawke on February 11, 2014, 07:09:58 PM
I love the audiobooks!  I just wish that all of the books had been recorded!  Does anyone know if there are any plans to finish them up???

Most likely not, I'm afraid  :(

The fact that the casts became increasingly smaller over time is a sign they were running out of funds/support.

The real issue is that Brian was the executive producer and with him gone... :'(

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 12, 2014, 01:42:42 AM
I love the audiobooks!  I just wish that all of the books had been recorded!  Does anyone know if there are any plans to finish them up???
The real issue is that Brian was the executive producer and with him gone... :'(
But couldn't, like, one of his son's take over as producer?

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on February 12, 2014, 03:38:32 PM
Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 12, 2014, 01:42:42 AM
But couldn't, like, one of his son's take over as producer?
I don't think any of them really want to. Someone told me that...