News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Books you should read.

Started by rachel25, May 23, 2014, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: rachel25 on June 05, 2014, 05:38:44 PM
Has anyone read the Narnia books? I much prefer the films, but the books are good.
Vice-versa for me.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

I like them all except for the Silver Chair. That one just got a little strange. My favorite is Prince Caspian, though.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gonff the Mousethief

I like them all books and movies :D
My favorite is The Lion, the Witch , and the wardrobe
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Rusvul

I've read them, they're pretty good. Didn't much like the last one, though, to the point where I stopped reading it and then finished it a year or so later. It was kinda meh compared to the others, but still a good book.

rachel25

I guess so. My favourite film, and character is Prince Caspian.  :)

Cornflower MM

I like the Narnia books, but the last few in the series were a bit.......Weird. I didn't like them as much. :-\

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Cornflower MM on June 06, 2014, 07:09:06 PM
I like the Narnia books, but the last few in the series were a bit.......Weird. I didn't like them as much. :-\

what?? They'er amazing! I like The Magician's Nephew the best, and Digory and Polly are my favourite characters in the series.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

rachel25

I like the Magician's Nephew too, its a good one.

Shadowed One

The Last Battle has a lot of Lewis's religious beliefs in it.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

The Skarzs

Actually, he was not Catholic, but was extremely influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien, who was Catholic, and it showed in his work.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

He was definitely Christian though "I have just passed on from believing in God to definitely believing in Christ - in Christianity. I will try to explain this another time. My long night talk with Dyson and Tolkien had a good deal to do with it."
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on June 07, 2014, 12:58:20 AM

what?? They'er amazing! I like The Magician's Nephew the best, and Digory and Polly are my favourite characters in the series.

I'm not saying they're NOT amazing! Just a little weird compared to the others.

Jetthebinturong

I would recommend The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare as I'm only one chapter into the first book and I'm already hooked however it deals with some controversial themes and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has issues with homosexuality, demons, violence, blasphemy or skepticism. Geez that is a lot of triggers.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

I'm fine with all of them. Good grief, I SHOULD be fine with blasphemy, considering the fact that everyone except for me cusses in my house. ::) One of my sister's was a mother-in-law that's homosexual, and a different sister has a very, very, very close friend who's also homosexual. (I had no idea he was gay until two years ago.) violence doesn't bother me, and neither does all the others. I'll have to see if the library has it.

rachel25

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on June 08, 2014, 06:16:46 PM
I would recommend The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare as I'm only one chapter into the first book and I'm already hooked however it deals with some controversial themes and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has issues with homosexuality, demons, violence, blasphemy or skepticism. Geez that is a lot of triggers.
Whoa! I'm amazed that the only triggers for me are the homosexuality, and the blasphemy. I don't mind demons, I mean, some of my favourite books are centred around Angels, and demons. (Their by Frank Peretti, I think I suggested them earlier)