News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mask

The Maskmaker. Kinda funny considering my username.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Banya

Natural Enemy, Natural Ally: Toward an Environmental History of War

It's a work of nonfiction, and it's one of my books for school.  Studying the subject of warfare's impact on the natural world and the impact of physical geography on warfare presents an interesting angle for studying wars throughout history.

Further Information
This was my favourite class this year.  My three essays for the class were about the development of weaponry and its impact on the environment, as well as the environment's shaping of weaponry use and movement.  The first concerned the introduction of metal weaponry in the Middle East around 1500 BC and continued with deforestation in the Middle East and Ancient Greece for the construction and repair of the Spartan and Athenian navies.  The second essay, and my favourite, was on medieval weaponry and war tactics with regards to the landscape of Western Europe.  I'm currently working on my final essay that introduces aerial warfare of the early 20th century as well as the introduction and development of chemical warfare, petroleum, and nuclear arms over the past century and their effects in Western Europe, the Americas, and the Pacific, respectively.
[close]
[/font]

Russano the Wise

Right now I'm reading White Fang by Jack London and I am really enjoying it so far. Also, for school, I'm reading a historical nonfiction book called Bridge to the Sun by Gwen Terasaki.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Krowdon

I'm in the middle of A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

I did recently finish Fight Club. If you've seen the movie (or even if you haven't) that's one I recommend.

Eulaliaaa!

Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

redwallgurl

Fun. is a fantastic band.

Luftwaffles

I'm re-reading Redwall after having taken a break from it, because real life got in the way. I'm honestly finding it really hard to read, it's like one chapter is a masterpiece and the very next one is just "good".
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

MeadowR

^ Oh no! :o

I'm still re-reading Mariel of Redwall. Been a few weeks now... but only because I was busy with my holiday and have got pretty tired in the evenings. Eventually will finish it. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Firehawke

The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Jetthebinturong

Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy. There are just too many things I forgot about this series
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

SoranMBane

I finished up my reread of Marlfox (which actually held up quite well). Now, since the last few books I've read have been fantasies, I figure I may as well switch it up with some hard sci-fi, so I'm probably going to focus on finishing Neuromancer next (which is probably the shortest book on my list, so it shouldn't take too long). I also bought yet another book from the used book store today; in this case, Excession by Iain M. Banks. I've heard plenty of good things about Banks and his Culture novels, so we'll see how it goes when I get around to reading it.

Banya

It feels so strange to be able to read for fun once again.  I kicked my summer off by opening Martin the Warrior.  One of my friends joined me on the grass, and he saw it and went, "Ohh yeah, that one was one of my favourites." 
We then had a good long Redwall talk.  When I carry the books around, it's amazing how many friends will point them out and tell me they read and loved the series.

Hickory

Lucky. No one at my school has ever read the books. I used to have a friend at my old school who did, though...
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I really hope we're supposed to despise Hector and Alexander because I do, a lot.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

Cell by Stephen King. Second time I read it :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!