News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Thinking about a Redwall 'board' game

Started by James Gryphon, January 17, 2015, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Delthion on January 18, 2015, 06:19:06 AM
Javelins were only used by the otters so having them placed in a vermin horde wouldn't really make sense.

A warlord could just as easily have javelineers in his horde. Just throw long pointy sticks at yer enemy and job done.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Delthion

Yes, but it is not incorporated in the books. So it would detract from the board game a bit.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Delthion on January 18, 2015, 06:22:29 AM
Yes, but it is not incorporated in the books. So it would detract from the board game a bit.

It depends on the time frame. I still think having a few bow beasts would make it more accurate.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Delthion

Yes, me too. Just not javelin throwers.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Delthion on January 18, 2015, 06:24:48 AM
Yes, me too. Just not javelin throwers.

I think slingers should do the trick, they formed the main ranged core of Cluny's horde. Also, Cluny's horde had some spike hurlers.

James Gryphon

The combat system is likely going to be very simple. This is intended to be a quick to play game, so that things will keep moving and not get too bogged down during turns. For the most part, there probably won't be special units in the sense that you're talking about. I think this fits the setting anyway, though: most of the Redwall series armies were pretty homogenous in terms of armament.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: James Gryphon on January 18, 2015, 06:31:59 AM
The combat system is likely going to be very simple. This is intended to be a quick to play game, so that things will keep moving and not get too bogged down during turns. For the most part, there probably won't be special units in the sense that you're talking about. I think this fits the setting anyway, though: most of the Redwall series armies were pretty homogenous in terms of armament.

Alright then, if slingers are your main ranged units it'll be awesome. Will this game ever be made?  ???

James Gryphon

Made in the physical sense, probably not. Made in the sense of being completed and released for use, I hope so, but I'm not making any promises; I'm notoriously bad about finishing things.

This is the basics of the game so far; some of the details might be open to change. There should be a map, not unlike RISK or Axis & Allies. This should portray features from the Redwall world, including the Abbey, Salamandastron, etc. Each territory has its own value, which contributes to the potential for army size. Some territories contribute more or less.

Vermin hordes (the players' armies) are generated and control a certain number of previously empty territories. Each player has a 'leader' in charge of their horde who defines their army's unique characteristics. For example, foxes have lower-sized armies, but get more command points per turn. Command points are used for special actions (which I can't tell you much about because I haven't created most of them yet, but one thing I can say -- they're needed to attack Salamandastron). Other races get bonuses to army size, but receive fewer command points per turn. The races that exist right now are foxes, rats, ferrets, stoats, and weasels.

The players move each turn, taking territories. Some may be unoccupied and free for the taking, but others may be owned by hostile woodlanders or an opposing player. You have the option of fighting for those, using a simple combat system that I would rather keep under wraps for now. Woodlanders have different fighting styles depending on their race. Redwall Abbey and the Long Patrol receive special bonuses, so taking their forces out will be harder than other woodlander groups.

Salamandastron is ruled by a resident Badger Lord, whose abilities are judged in three categories. These categories are "terror", "strength", and "size" -- "Terror" is how many command points are necessary to attack Salamandastron. "Strength" relates to the strength of Salamandastron's defense. "Size" relates to the size of the roaming Long Patrol (a force which moves around the board and will attack players). The badger may be independent, meaning that their traits are generated entirely at random, or they may be part of one of the three badger dynasties; each dynasty specializes in one of the categories, and has a high minimum rating in that area. The "Brock" dynasty (in the books, this would include Stonepaw, Brocktree, Boar, Sunflash, and Rawnblade), for instance, specializes in Strength.

The player that is first able to launch an attack on Salamandastron and conquer it is the winner.

Everything still needs a lot of work, but that's the general shape of it right now.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Ashenwyte

That's a good concept!  :) Maybe I could be of some use, I'm doing a Making your own games class in two days.

James Gryphon

How much detail would y'all want in a game map? I can adapt an existing Redwall RISK map, or I can make one of my own -- if I do the latter, it will not be as pretty as the existing one, but it'll be mine, and it might suit the purposes of the game better.
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

I would like a fair but of detail, but not all that much. A question: will the map consist of numbers and letters?

An example: I move a group of soldiers to A3

James Gryphon

I'm not sure yet. The Redwall RISK map I alluded to already has territory names, so if I was to use that, we would have those. For a map I make, I could either name each territory, or use a number-letter system as you mentioned.
« Subject to editing »

CaptainRocktree

WOW! I would love this! Please do this! I would play it everyday! :D
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

James Gryphon

Working on the combat system; I think (well, I hope) it's coming together.

If there were to be any victory conditions besides conquering Salamandastron, what would you like to see?
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

What about conquering Redwall as a bonus? It wouldn't be necessary, but it would provide morale for your troops (thus making your troops stronger), as well as giving you the sense of prestige that comes from conquering Redwall.

As for victory conditions, what about destroying every other player controlled horde? This would prevent people from forming super-strong alliances and wiping out Salamandastron, and would contribute to rivalries.