News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Book Suggestions Topic

Started by Hickory, February 13, 2015, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on April 13, 2015, 04:43:56 AM
I am about to finish the Redwall series, and I will need a new series.

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY move on from the Redwall series.

Lady Ashenwyte

Could anyone recommend me a book that is about war? I read Salamandastron sometime ago and I'd like to read a nice war story. (Preferably medieval or gunpowder.)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on April 13, 2015, 10:22:20 AM
Could anyone recommend me a book that is about war? I read Salamandastron sometime ago and I'd like to read a nice war story. (Preferably medieval or gunpowder.)

"Enemy at the Gates - the battle for Stalingrad" by William Craig is one heck of a war book, one of the best I have ever read. I don't know any on the medieval side, though.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: Banya on April 13, 2015, 05:26:36 AM
Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on April 13, 2015, 04:43:56 AM
I am about to finish the Redwall series, and I will need a new series.

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY move on from the Redwall series.
I do plan to go back and read them in historical order, but I would like to read some other books while doing that.

I will certainly look into those books Sierra!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

The Skarzs

Ever read The Red Badge of Courage? (If so, don't mind this post.) It's an American Civil War story, and, while it is a good story and holds decent lessons, it is a bit hard to read due to the dialect used.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Leatho Shellhound

The Lanern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff

One of my favorite books!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Banya

Look into the works of Bernard Cornwell.  He's an esteemed British author who specializes in writing on fictionalized medieval warfare and does incredible research into the subject matter of each of his novels.  His books are also very long.

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on April 13, 2015, 04:34:32 PM
I do plan to go back and read them in historical order, but I would like to read some other books while doing that.

That's my current project.  I read Lord Brocktree over spring break... and then school happened again.  I expect it'll take me another 2-3 years to get all the way through the series, allowing for school readings and other books on the side.

Hickory

Quote from: Banya on April 13, 2015, 09:40:03 PM

Look into the works of Bernard Cornwell.  He's an esteemed British author who specializes in writing on fictionalized medieval warfare and does incredible research into the subject matter of each of his novels.  His books are also very long.

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on April 13, 2015, 04:34:32 PM

That's my current project.  I read Lord Brocktree over spring break... and then school happened again.  I expect it'll take me another 2-3 years to get all the way through the series, allowing for school readings and other books on the side.

I've read Bernard Cornwell as well, a very good author. He's done some Viking related works.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

"The Song of Roland" is a really good book, if you're okay with lots of gore; (brains flowing, backs snapped and the like.) But it is entirely awesome, it would probably be qualified as historical fiction. But it changes several things and adds a few here and there.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on April 13, 2015, 04:05:42 AM
Revive!

Does anybody know of a good book that I would be interested in? Kind of a science fiction sort of book. Something that has lots of action. No magic though, I can't stand that stuff (magic like witchcraft, spells, necromancy, demons, stuff like that). Any ideas?
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series! S' really good!

Question: If you're opposed to (fictional) magic, are you opposed to (fictional) psionics? It's a distinctly different thing from (fictional) magic, though it has a similar effect. Shooting zappy lightning with power of thought rather than with books and hand-waving and weird words. Kinda like sci-fi magic, but since it's sci-fi it's often more understood and less mystical, depending on setting.

That's kind of something I've been curious about, actually. Are (fictional) psionics viewed as occult and bad by those who aren't okay with (fictional) magic?

Eulaliaaa!

Hmm, that's a good question. Shooting lightening with power of thought, it depends on how they can do it, I guess. I've read Maximum Ride and enjoyed it greatly, if that's the kind of thing you mean by that. Super powers don't bother me (excited for Avengers Age of Ultron!) depending on what they are...
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Hickory

Let's revive for the sake of summer reading.

For adventure/mystery fans, I recommend the three-book series by Blue Balliet, starting with Chasing Vermeer. Excellent book.

Sci-fi fans? Seveneves is a book I'm currently reading. The moon explodes.  8)

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cornflower MM

I need to get my hands on a good non-fiction book. . . . Any ideas?

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, if you want a good one with excitement, I Recommend Bill O'Rilley's Killing Lincoln. He has made many more like Killing Kenedy and Killing Jesus. It is written very well, and you will no doubt learn something.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Banya

As far as non-fiction goes, my favourite biographies include A Long Way Gone, detailing the life of a child soldier in the Sierra Leone Civil War during the 1990s, The Bite of the Mango, detailing the life of a girl victim of that same war, and The Endless Steppe, concerning the fate of a family of Polish Jews exiled to Siberia during the Second World War.  Both are moving and memorable.

I've read countless pieces of non-fiction based around World War II and the Holocaust, and my favourites, other than the biography above, are I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree and The Lost Childhood, which I've read twice.

I also wholeheartedly recommend reading Half the Sky, the book that inspired a movement.  With stories of human trafficking survivors, child brides, uneducated women, and their communities, it states and demonstrates the need for women in the developing world to gain an education and become involved in their communities, processes by which they can gain influence, and consequences that can occur if they do not.  Want to change the world?  Start with the girls.  I own a copy of this, and it's one of my most-referenced books.