News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

The Silmarillion Discussion Thread

Started by Jukka the Sling, August 23, 2015, 01:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Here's where we discuss all things Silmarillion. 

I've already read the book once, and I hope to buy the hardcover illustrated edition soon.

For those who are unfamiliar with this book, it's basically the prequel to The Lord of the Rings, but in the form of a history, not a novel.  It's fascinating, rather dark and violent, and a must-read.

Anyway, to start off the thread, here's two cool fan-made pics of the Valar and Maiar:

(Link to original deviantArt image.  Click on pic to zoom in.)

(Link to original deviantArt image.  Click on pic to zoom in.)

So, discuss away!

Firstly, who actually owns a copy of this book?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

I own a copy, but I hardly remember any of it... ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Ashenwyte

I used to own a copy on my Kindle, but it (and all my other books) got deleted when I had to make a new account. :(
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jukka the Sling

Why'd you have to make a new account?  (You mean an Amazon account, right?)

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 23, 2015, 04:06:38 AM

For some reason I wasn't able to buy books with my old account.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: rrrrr on August 23, 2015, 04:39:34 AM
I have it on my kindle, I think?
Cool.  You should read it.  Be warned: it's rather depressing in a lot of places.

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on August 23, 2015, 06:13:37 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 23, 2015, 04:06:38 AM

For some reason I wasn't able to buy books with my old account.
Strange.  Maybe you could contact Amazon support?

Anyway, who are you guys' favorite characters?  Mine are Maedhros and Finrod, though there are many other awesome characters as well.

Firehawke

Love the images!

I have the book...actually read it for a class (and LoTR for a different class taught by the same teacher) a number of years ago and I'm slowly working my way through it again (taking a break...need lighter reading right now).
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Cornflower MM

I tried reading it. . . . I couldn't. Nearly put me to sleep. Maybe I'll try again. :)

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Firehawke on August 28, 2015, 07:17:08 PM
Love the images!

I have the book...actually read it for a class (and LoTR for a different class taught by the same teacher) a number of years ago and I'm slowly working my way through it again (taking a break...need lighter reading right now).
Cool!

Quote from: Cornflower MM on August 30, 2015, 06:18:41 PM
I tried reading it. . . . I couldn't. Nearly put me to sleep. Maybe I'll try again. :)
Yes, you should.  It will forever change your entire view of LotR.

Lady Amber

I might read it after I finish LotR. I'm not really sure.

Dawnwing

I tried reading it, but reached a point where I just couldn't get farther into it, and ended up reaching the number-of-renewals limit at the library.
I've got my own copy now, found it at the used-book sale at this summer's church picnic.  I'll try again at some point.

Vilu Daskar

I never read it because when ever I want to read it my sister is reading it. It seems like that's all she reads.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on September 08, 2015, 02:54:32 PM
I never read it because when ever I want to read it my sister is reading it. It seems like that's all she reads.

You could borrow one from your local library or get yourself an e-copy.