Rawnblade Widestripe
9 (56.3%)
Lonna Bowstripe
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 30

alexandre

Quote from: Groddil on September 25, 2016, 06:10:39 AM
Quote from: alexandre on September 25, 2016, 06:04:36 AM
     This is about Ripfang, a seasoned Pirate, not some pirate's son who didn't really earn anything. Also, it is worth noting that yes, Trunn was a great general, but didn't practice fighting like Brocktree did, and Boar apeared to have much more skill with a sword, we only saw that in his old age so I can only imagine what it was like in his prime.

Ripfang who, mind, is just as old as Boar, is just a normal rat (not extra large like Cluny), and would be outmatched by pretty much every major villain ever, especially wildcats like Trunn and Tsarmina.

Dude, They are all in there prime in my imaginary world, also I still think that you can't really say anything about Trunn's Battle skills since they aren't seen much in the book.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Hickory

Ungatt was obviously skilled enough to avoid any rebellions of diobedience in the Blue Hordes. Any wildcat villain is known as a great fighter - Verdauga, Felis, Tsarmina. Wildcats are known as powerful, and Ungatt wasn't the exception.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

alexandre

We have seen throughout the series that skill isn't always the way of stoping rebellion, also just because boar didn't fight a wildcat in his prime,doesn't mean he couldn't

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Delthion

But we see that he was overcome by rats, which leads us to believe that he is weaker than Brocktree. Who fought off a wildcat, and based on his skill probably could have decapitated everybeast present at the duel with a single blow. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

LT Sandpaw

Its hard to take two characters, that are practically the same, and figure out which one was better. However we do get to see some of Boar's personal skill when he's training Martin. Whereas we don't really see Brocktree do much fighting overall. He did slaughter some of the blue horde, but they were trapped, and outnumbered.

I dunno which one would win for certain, but I'll say Boar, because we see him fight far worse odds then Brocktree ever faced, when he was old. And he still managed to destroy an entire crew of searats, even though he did die in the process.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

Quote from: Delthion on September 25, 2016, 05:25:29 PM
But we see that he was overcome by rats...
I've heard this argument against Boar before, on the old forum. It's no less goofy now than it was then.

We're not talking about one stupid little rat here. We're talking a horde.

Quote from: MossflowerFrom both sides of the mountain they filtered out in a swift pincer movement. Trubb's estimate was right: there were hordes of them. Martin watched in silence as they formed a semicircle. He had never seen so many sea rats.
The roiling mass of enemies seemed endless. Martin and his comrades wiped sweat and blood from their eyes as they battered heroically away at the tide of sea rats which threatened to engulf them. The warrior mouse found himself back to back with Boar. "Boar, we're hard-pressed and outnumbered," he yelled over the noise of war. "It'd take us all season to slay this pack, even if they stood in line and waited."

Fighting one wildcat is in no way comparable to taking on an army of rats.

Also, from what we know in Mossflower, y'all are incredibly underrating Ripfang. Rather than him being "an ordinary rat captain" we know that he is "half again as large" as his rats, he has an innumerable horde on a massive pirate ship, and that he's personally enslaved all of the other pirates that used to sail near Salamandastron in that time period. Ripfang isn't some punk hanging outside the drug store; as I again said on the old forum, I think it's fair to say that he's what Gabool might have been, if he had stayed at sea instead of holing up in a castle.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 25, 2016, 07:20:40 PM
Rather than him being "an ordinary rat captain" we know that he is "half again as large" as his rats,

* Groddil didn't know that.

Cheers, James.

The Skarzs

Brocktree is sort of my favorite, but I'm gonna go with Boar. I mean, he's literally called "the Fighter". (And he's my second favorite. Third is Russano.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Quote from: Groddil on September 25, 2016, 11:27:37 PM
Quote from: James Gryphon on September 25, 2016, 07:20:40 PM
Rather than him being "an ordinary rat captain" we know that he is "half again as large" as his rats,

* Groddil didn't know that.

Cheers, James.

Does that mean he was half as large as them, or half taller than them? :3

alexandre

I think half as large, if my memory of the book is correct

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

James Gryphon

I read it earlier today.

"Half again" means 1.5 times as large, or the midway point between 1 (no difference in size) and 2 (twice the size). So, take an ordinary rat, and add half their size onto another rat, and that's about the size we're looking at here.
« Subject to editing »

alexandre

Really? I always thought it was that he was very clever in battle based on what I remember and that his size could lead enimies to underestimate him. Also, I believe that an ongoing theme in the series is that the little guy becomes powerful. But if you read it earlier today you are probably right.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

I remember him not being very well-developed, and his purpose was more of to take down Boar.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.