News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Here we are RP

Started by The Skarzs, July 10, 2018, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Jukka grinned widely as Skarzs read the page mentioning them, her eyes lighting up.  "We're in their records," she breathed, giggling a bit, before sobering and listening to Skarzs' and Dan's exchange.  Glancing at all the ancient books around the room, she resolved to be very careful about how she handled them, and then cautiously pulled another one off a high shelf.  Despite its apparent age, the book wasn't that dusty and seemed generally well-preserved.  She opened it to the first page, and then let out a gasp.

"Guys!  'Summer of the Late Rose'!  What are the odds."
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

"Wow! That's the one from Redwall, right?" Skarzs peered over Jukka's shoulder. "Cool! Hey, we could see if the books are actually recordings, or if the recordings are different than what we've read, like with all the vermin dialogue."
  Before he could read past the first three lines, however, there was the sound of several voices coming from outside. "Speak of the devil," Skarzs muttered.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Corn had wandered away from Skarzs and Jukka, her attention caught by the dusty bookshelves lining the walls all the way to the back of the room, her paw drifting along the spines of the records as she looked at them in wonder. She grew oblivious to the conversation and finds behind her as she explored and examined the books. They were all unique and a piece of history, and while Corn was extremely vocal about her dislike of the subject she couldn't deny the thrill of looking at such a big chunk of Redwall's history right at her fingertips.

She heard the voices at about the same time Skarzs did and jerked back to reality, turning around quickly enough to stumble over her paws and fall into the bookshelves. Thankfully she didn't knock anything over or damage anything, just letting out an alarmed squeak before she caught herself. The position Corn's stumble put her in gave her the perfect view out of a window. "It looks like the Abbess and the Abbey Warrior coming, with an older mouse I don't recognize, and that Infirmary Sister that was upstairs," Corn said as she hastily made her way back towards Skarzs and Jukka, trying to play off the trip.

Jukka the Sling

"Oh!" Jukka said, turning away from the open book and moving towards the closed door.  "Um... they don't know we're here and they might not be too happy with us being here."  She looked between her friends, unsure of what to do.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Skarzs watched Corn's stumble, ready to help her up if needed. Like he thought, it was the Abbess. "Graceful!" he said to Corn as she came away from the window.
  "Well. . . I guess we could just let them in. Want to open the door?"
  Before Jukka could do so, however, the handle turned and the Abbey Warrior stepped in, holding it open for the rest. He looked in surprise at the newcomers standing in the the gatehouse, but said nothing. The Abbess, sister, and mouse (the recorder, Skarzs assumed), filed in, all with similar looks of surprise on their faces.
  "Excuse me!" cried the mouse. "What are you doing here in my gatehouse?"
  "Sorry, we were just reading some of the recordings." Skarzs shrugged. "We were fascinated."
  "I'm sure, but I'm more fascinated how you four knew where to look. Did someone tell you?"
  The Abbess interrupted. "As am I, but we don't have time for that." She looked at the four friends curiously. "We need to find Noonvale as soon as possible."
  "I will, but it's too crowded in here," said the recorder.
  The warrior, Drakken, spoke up. His voice was kind, coming from deep in his chest with a strength that spoke of confidence and urged following. "I'm not very good at looking through books and papers. Would you like to come out with me, friends? We can enjoy the sun while they dig in the dust."
  Skarzs nodded as he ducked through the door. "We'll get out of your way."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

Dann chortled into the inkwell he was examining when Corn squeaked, not needing to look to figure out what had happened. He continued poking around the desk whilst the others talked, listening to the conversation loosely. He turned around as Skarz was about to pass the doorway, "So you don't know where Noonvale is then. In that case, it's by a river northeast of the western shore cliffs where your warrior Martin was born. The river splits around an island, and that's roughly where Noonvale is. He looked directly at the Abbess with complete sincerity, knowing he'd have to instill great confidence in her if he was to convince her of the truth.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

Skarzs was halfway through the door when Dan spoke. That works, he thought. The four Redwallers stared at Dan in disbelief.
  "How-h-how do you know that?" asked the recorder, shaking his head as if to clear it. "Who are you creatures?"
  After a pause, where looks were wordlessly passed around, Skarzs spoke. "We're travellers from another land. Before we got here, we each had dreams with Martin the Warrior. He told us we need to help a creature in need, using the knowledge we have. We believe Andrew, and Noonvale, is who we need to help."
  "Martin did?" Lessia turned to the cougar. "Why didn't you say this before?"
  "Wasn't. . . sure how you would react." Skarzs glanced at his companions. "My point is, we can help."
  The Abbess thought for a moment. "According to our recorder, he has not found the location of Noonvale in here, nor does he remember its location being mentioned at all. If you truly know where Noonvale is, we will gladly use your help. But I need to know for certain: Do you know where it is?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Jukka gnawed her lip.  She knew that Noonvale lay to the northeast, but beyond that, she feared she wouldn't be any help.

Still, it couldn't hurt to say what she could remember.

"I know it's northeast from here," she volunteered finally, and glanced between her friends, hoping they could fill in the rest.

The Skarzs

Lessia's face fell while Skarzs looked at Corn and Dann, who were both silent.
  "We can find it," he said. "Martin the Warrior was a prisoner at a fortess called Marshank, far north of here. He escaped and was washed further north by the sea, and had to make his way back around to Noonvale; there was a large swamp he had to cross, then a big mountain that had a cave bored through it. On the other side of that mountain, there was a stream that he followed, but only to an inlet that was fairly hidden. That inlet led to Noonvale."
  Skarzs felt rather out if breath. He looked at his friends. "Did I miss anything?"

OOC: Sorry for not posting sooner. @danflorreguba @Jukka the Sling @Cornflower MM You guys still up for this?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Corn's mind went blank as everyone started talking about directions - It had been a very long time since she'd read a Redwall book, much less Martin the Warrior, and she barely knew east from west back home where she'd been able to figure out where the sun was rising and setting. "Uh. Nope, that all sounds about right. Northeast by a river or inlet, definitely. If we had a map of the general western cliffs area and could make our way there I feel pretty confident we could find it." Corn felt like she maybe shouldn't volunteer her companions for a journey like that - After all, it probably wasn't the safest journey, or the shortest - but they'd been plopped into the Redwall world for a reason, right?

The Skarzs

Skarzs looked at Dan, who simply returned the gaze silently. "We can help," he said again to Abbess Lessia. "If nothing else, I would be willing to draw a map out for you."
  Once again, the Abbess took a few moments to think in silence. Drakken, from beside Skarzs, cleared his throat. "Lessia, if they can help, we could use them. I myself will go to Noonvale with whoever will come with me, and if it's all the same, I prefer a guide more than a map."
  "We cannot force these creatures to go on this journey," said the mouse.
  "We understand," said Skarzs. "Maybe. . . You could give us a bit of time to talk it over?"
  ". . . Yes," said the Abbess slowly. "We will wait outside."
  The Redwallers exited the gatehouse, leaving the four friends alone inside. Skarzs breathed out in a low whistle. "Well. . . What do you think? We might be the best bet of helping Noonvale."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Jukka felt a little apprehensive, simply because she didn't remember more than Noonvale's general direction and she didn't want to be leading Drakken on a wild goose chase.  She turned to Skarzs.  "So... you know the way?  Properly?  'Cause I, uh, don't really remember much beyond the fact that it's northeast."

The Skarzs

Skarzs frowned, looking for a solution. He started looking around the gatehouse for some blank parchment, then went over to the desk and took up the quill. It was not the same as a modern pen, and the ink smudged as he used it, but he did his best.
  "This 's what the map of that northern part looks like, as far as I know. On the west coast are the caves Martin came from, and he went around somehow getting to the northeast sea, and Marshank. Near Marshank was some marshlands (that's where they shot some of their own soldiers). Martin and the others drifted north on the water, where the pygmy shrews were. From there they went inland, meeting the mole lady, then through the marshes with the lizards. After that, they went through the mountain with the owls (I can't remember their names. . . Gwe-something), and went down the river to the inlet, and followed that to Noonvale. After that Martin went back down the river to the sea to fight at Marshank again." He finished his map with a dotted line that illustrated the rough path Martin took.

He looked at it for a moment before talking again. "I'm not entirely sure of everything, but if we find the cliffs Martin came from, we should be able to go east and use the other landmarks to find where we need to go."
  His heart was pounding in his chest. "I'm gonna go, at least. There 're lives on the line, and I can't just sit back if I know something they don't that can help."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Corn peered at the map closely, "It looks kinda like the map? Now that I've seen this it's coming back to me. This is why we were summoned here, right? Of course I'm gonna go, I don't see any of us not going to be honest." She backed away from the map and table and started shifting her weight and glancing around. The gatehouse needed a good dusting and airing out - It smelled a little bit musty and she was starting to get antsy.

Dannflower Reguba

Dann looked between his friends inside the antiquated room, "If we're all being honest, who among us would even be willing to not go?" A smile picked at the corner of his mouth as he finished his sentence, shifting to address the Abbey dwellers, "Long story short, we're your best bet for getting there quickly enough to make a difference. Honestly, it should be easy once we hit the western beaches because we can follow those north to the caves and just move inland until we reach the river... That's all assuming, of course, that you'd be willing to keep our company for as long."
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This