News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lego: (non Redwall)

Started by Griffen, July 02, 2012, 05:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what should we build first? (give me ideas so i can add them)

ship (water)
8 (28.6%)
ship (air)
5 (17.9%)
ship (space)
12 (42.9%)
car
1 (3.6%)
city
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Dannflower Reguba

QuoteSidenote: Good to see the topic saying the proper title of the toy "Lego" and not the awful Americanised version "Legos".

Excuse me!? What happens to be wrong with America and Lego's! We use the same things you do!

Yall are a bit late to the party we already had a thread for this stuff, had some awesome stuff posted too. I'll see if I can dig it up.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: danflorreguba on May 15, 2013, 11:01:54 PM
Excuse me!? What happens to be wrong with America and Lego's! We use the same things you do!

There's no such thing as "Legos", as Americans have a bad habit of calling it - it's on of my pet peeves that I find really annoying. The product and company name is "Lego". The plural version is "Lego bricks / blocks" or "Lego sets".

Two other pet peeves I have are the annoying habit of having the date the wrong way around (it's "14th May", not "May 14th") and leaving the "u" out of words like "colour" (one reason why I always buyt the British releases of books, even though they're more espensive).

There's a Lego Batman movie coming. It's probably a direct-to-DVD movie like the Star Wars ones (Padawan Menace and The Empire Strikes Out), but you can read about it and watch the trailers at Superherohype.com:)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah've zeen ze Ztar Varz vonez. 'ilariouz!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 16, 2013, 07:46:58 AM
Quote from: danflorreguba on May 15, 2013, 11:01:54 PM

There's no such thing as "Legos", as Americans have a bad habit of calling it - it's on of my pet peeves that I find really annoying. The product and company name is "Lego". The plural version is "Lego bricks / blocks" or "Lego sets".

Two other pet peeves I have are the annoying habit of having the date the wrong way around (it's "14th May", not "May 14th") and leaving the "u" out of words like "colour" (one reason why I always buyt the British releases of books, even though they're more espensive).

There's a Lego Batman movie coming. It's probably a direct-to-DVD movie like the Star Wars ones (Padawan Menace and The Empire Strikes Out), but you can read about it and watch the trailers at Superherohype.com:)
Actually, Americans don't leave the "u" out of color and other words with the same base, like behavior, that's just the way we spell it in America.  American English and British English are mainly the same languages, with some words spelled differently or sounded differently.  Americans don't forget to add the extra "u", it's just the way we spell our words.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: CrazyPug37 on May 16, 2013, 11:43:50 PM
Actually, Americans don't leave the "u" out of color and other words with the same base, like behavior, that's just the way we spell it in America.  American English and British English are mainly the same languages, with some words spelled differently or sounded differently.  Americans don't forget to add the extra "u", it's just the way we spell our words.

Except it's called English because it was created by people in England (admittedly they stole most of it from other languages) ... why do Americans think that they have a right to go around changing the spelling and meaning of words to suit themselves, and then push their butchered version onto everytone else? If Americans wanted they own language, then they should have created they own with a new name.

It's similar to the idiocy of the current fad in Hollyweird of doing "remakes" which butcher someone else's hard work, steal the original name, but in reality create a very different show / movie that should have had a new name.  :(

Buzz_Bumble

I would probably collect the Lego Minifigs for the Star Was, Harry Potter and Batman / Superheros ranges ... IF Lego sold them separately without any silly "exclusives" or "random packed" nonsense, and at a sensible price.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 17, 2013, 07:57:32 AM
Actually, Americans don't leave the "u" out of color and other words with the same base, like behavior, that's just the way we spell it in America.  American English and British English are mainly the same languages, with some words spelled differently or sounded differently.  Americans don't forget to add the extra "u", it's just the way we spell our words.

Except it's called English because it was created by people in England (admittedly they stole most of it from other languages) ... why do Americans think that they have a right to go around changing the spelling and meaning of words to suit themselves, and then push their butchered version onto everytone else? If Americans wanted they own language, then they should have created they own with a new name.

It's similar to the idiocy of the current fad in Hollyweird of doing "remakes" which butcher someone else's hard work, steal the original name, but in reality create a very different show / movie that should have had a new name.  :(

1.  Because we're not Englishmen and women, we're Americans, that's why.  If what you're saying right now had never happened, many of the languages around the world today wouldn't exist.  Think about Brazilian Portuguese, Mexican Spanish, and such.

2.  America was once part of England; it was an English colony, as India and numerous countries in Africa were.  We basically had no language to create after we became independent, and hung on with the English language.  During the mid/late 1800s all the way to the early 1900s, thousands and thousands of immigrants came to America, from places like Italy, Ireland, and Poland.  By then, the American version of English had started to "stray" from the English version.  These immigrants picked up the stayed language, and combined it with some terms from their native countries, and the American "slang" version of English was created.  We didn't "steal and "butcher" the original English language, it was transformed due to isolation from England and the income of immigrants.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

You completely missed the point.   ::) But this is a Lego topic, so I'm not going to waste time trying to explain it.

Shadowed One

Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on May 15, 2013, 04:32:31 AM
I collect many of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Lego sets.  Those are pretty cool, but I don't have too many considering the astronomical prices on Lego!

Yeah, I have all the LOTR LEGO™ sets except for the Uruk his forge one (forgot the name of it).
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 17, 2013, 07:57:32 AM

Seriously? English is by no means a language that anyone has a claim on, it's a mixture of literally EVERY language on this planet! (The major languages that is: Latin, Spanish, French, Greek, etc.)

And as for Lego's, it's a plural form, and totally valid.

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 20, 2013, 06:08:39 PM
Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on May 15, 2013, 04:32:31 AM
I collect many of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Lego sets.  Those are pretty cool, but I don't have too many considering the astronomical prices on Lego!

Yeah, I have all the LOTR LEGO™ sets except for the Uruk his forge one (forgot the name of it).

I don't have any of those ones, they look good though, Lego has put a lot of effort into visual appeal of late.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

I enjoy Legos somewhat...

Life is too short to rush through it.

CrazyPug37

I only enjoy the minfig series that they make, since I don't really care for the sets.

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on May 20, 2013, 11:48:19 PM
I enjoy Legos somewhat...

Aaaarrrghhh!! The dreaded "Legos" word again.  :(

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah liked ze old Ztar Varz vonez before zey came oot vith ze Clone Varz vonez. Ah zought zoez vere juzt dumb.