News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

The Quest For The Black Treasure: Sign Up Thread

Started by rachel25, March 02, 2014, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Cool, though it'll take some work to soften Toka up.  ::)
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faiyloe

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, now I have made foxes flying on eagles. I like this RP!!!! ;D
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: rachel25 on March 28, 2014, 03:25:30 PM
Hell yeah!  ;D

Easy Rach! You wouldn't want to harm the ears of those who don't hear cussing on a regular basis (Like meself, unfortunately)

Jetthebinturong

Hell is not cussing, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and unfortunately it happens a lot.

I cuss a lot simply because I do not see the reason not to use certain words. When was it anyone's job to take away words simply because they mean something rude yet we are still allowed to say the words they mean? For example the "F word" means intercourse, the "S word" means feces etc etc. I really hate the idea of cursing, they are just words, they should not mean anything. Of course I could say the same about some forms of literature but that'd probably look downright offensive.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

rachel25

Quote from: Cornflower MM on March 30, 2014, 06:48:59 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on March 28, 2014, 03:25:30 PM
Hell yeah!  ;D

Easy Rach! You wouldn't want to harm the ears of those who don't hear cussing on a regular basis (Like meself, unfortunately)
I'm with Jet, also hell isn't a curse, or swear word, (I should know  ::)) it just means dark bottomless hole. Hell is a lake of fire in the spiritual realm. I did not mean any offence, that's just something my family just say, randomly. I am sorry if I upset anyone. It was not meant to offend anyone.

Faiyloe

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on March 30, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
Hell is not cussing, that is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard and unfortunately it happens a lot.

I cuss a lot simply because I do not see the reason not to use certain words. When was it anyone's job to take away words simply because they mean something rude yet we are still allowed to say the words they mean? For example the "F word" means intercourse, the "S word" means feces etc etc. I really hate the idea of cursing, they are just words, they should not mean anything. Of course I could say the same about some forms of literature but that'd probably look downright offensive.

I object. Those words meanings have bean altered from there original meanings when used in that context so that they are in appropriate and offensive. That is why it is a sin to use Gods name in vain. because you are turning it into something less than what it is. Though that is beside the point. the words are not bad because of there technical meaning (although that is never very good to begin with) but because of what people have turned it in to it it is no longer "just a word" as you put it.

Jetthebinturong

While that may be true, the meanings have altered BECAUSE they were banned and NOT the other way around. While I'm sure a Christian would agree with your second argument, I do not, for example if I used the statement "Oh my god!" how could you be sure if I was referring to Yahweh? I might be referring to any god from any religion ever, I could be meaning Brahmin, Allah, Flying Spaghetti Monster, even the Norse or Egyptian gods (I'm sure some people worship them even now) but the feeling I have towards that sin is one of deep loathing, by outlawing the use of that word in the wrong context, one religion is putting itself higher than all others (which is basically outright hypocrisy because according to God we are supposed to all be equal) oh, I've been pushed onto that topic again, I should probably stop before I offend someone (no guarantee that I haven't already)

Faiyloe

Yahweh Allah and God (The Christian one) are all one and the same just different names although the religions that fallow them are different.

In a Catholic context there is only one God so any reference would ultimately be towards him even if the speaker is not intending it. The phrase oh My God was originally meant as a prayer by turning it into something that is anything less than an exclamation of reverence is offensive.

In a none Catholic context using any ones name in that fashion is offensive No matter what god they are "Referring" to. If some one started using your name in that fashion how would you like it.

QuoteWhile that may be true, the meanings have altered BECAUSE they were banned and NOT the other way around.

Your logic there is flawed If that is true than there would have been no reason to ban the words in the first place. the meaning must be there before the banning can occur.

I know people who say "offensive" Phrases but replace the bad word with a different one yet their intended meaning is still the same. The new word is still just as offensive as the omitted one because the persons intentions are the same.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Faiyloe on March 30, 2014, 11:19:30 PM
Yahweh Allah and God (The Christian one) are all one and the same just different names although the religions that fallow them are different.

In a Catholic context there is only one God so any reference would ultimately be towards him even if the speaker is not intending it. The phrase oh My God was originally meant as a prayer by turning it into something that is anything less than an exclamation of reverence is offensive.

In a none Catholic context using any ones name in that fashion is offensive No matter what god they are "Referring" to. If some one started using your name in that fashion how would you like it.

I had not thought of that, good point

Quote from: Faiyloe on March 30, 2014, 11:19:30 PM
QuoteWhile that may be true, the meanings have altered BECAUSE they were banned and NOT the other way around.

Your logic there is flawed If that is true than there would have been no reason to ban the words in the first place. the meaning must be there before the banning can occur.

I know people who say "offensive" Phrases but replace the bad word with a different one yet their intended meaning is still the same. The new word is still just as offensive as the omitted one because the persons intentions are the same.

Hmmmmm that still begs the question how did these words evolve to become offensive? Perhaps the general sharpness of the words? People realised that these words sounded offensive so made them offensive? I am intrigued, I shall look up the history of swearing on the internet (yes this is what I do with my life, WHERE DID I GO WRONG?)

(That was a joke, I have not yet had enough time on this Earth to go wrong (unless I die tomorrow or something (that would suck (Ooh, using brackets like this is fun (you cannot escape the brackets (nothing can escape the brackets (the brackets are the hidden tenth circle of hell (... (I need professional help)))))))))

Faiyloe

Quote(That was a joke, I have not yet had enough time on this Earth to go wrong (unless I die tomorrow or something (that would suck (Ooh, using brackets like this is fun (you cannot escape the brackets (nothing can escape the brackets (the brackets are the hidden tenth circle of hell (... (I need professional help)))))))))

I agree brackets are awesome. I do that all the time. Although I don't really seam in vibe right now.

rachel25

I worship Yahuweh, and am a Messianic believer. I personally agree with some of both of your points, but just make sure this doesn't spiral out into an argument. (Cos then I'd feel bad cos it was me who brought the whole thing about  ::) (and brackets are fun)))))

Faiyloe