News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Twilight, anyone?

Started by Cornflower MM, July 12, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Okay, so I only did two.....Darny........

Dawnwing

I originally read the first book back before the series became popular, because I kept finding it when looking for the Warriors book Twilight and was curious what the other one was.  I've read the series two or three times since - and own all four - and I enjoy it.   Really it's the rabid fandom/hatedom that decreases my enjoyment of it.  They're decent stories on their own when you take away the "omg they're the best books EVAR!" and the "Team Edward!" and the "come on they SPARKLE" and whatnot. 

I don't like the movies, though.  Could've chosen better leading actors (I'm not a fan of either  Pattinson or Stewart), and a lot of lines/scenes fall flat, in my opinion.

Cornflower MM

YAY!!! Another Twilighter!! Yeah....Someone once said that everyone either loves it or loves to hate it. I think that the fact that they sparkle, and such is original. Someone else would probably have done it if Ms. Meyer didn't.

I'm neutral to all the big star people, but I do agree with you.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 16, 2014, 12:01:52 AM

But... romance...  And why is it in Washington?  I mean, sure, it's cloudy there a lot, but it doesn't rain THAT often.  And in Eastern Washington, it's actually quite dry and warm.

You do not know of what you speak of! Western Washington is the greyest, rainiest, most depressing place in the entire world!

Trust me. I'm looking out the window right now...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

So, Wylder, what do YOU think about Twilight?

Wylder Treejumper

Let me put it this way...

I am a reader. In general, if you put written material in front of me, I will read it. Period. And I read fast. I can read the average Redwall book in less than two hours. If I start to read something, I finish it.

With few exceptions. Books like Maze Runner, The Hunger Games... and Twilight, Book 1.

I put Maze Runner down at page 4. I put The Hunger games down at page 22. I put Twilight down at page 17 or something...

I wasn't going to say it, but you asked for it.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

What's the big deal......? Don't answer that.

Wylder Treejumper

Don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answers to...
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

rachel25

I think Wylder saying he didn't like it.  ;)

Rainshadow

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 23, 2014, 04:00:55 PM

But... romance...  And why is it in Washington?  I mean, sure, it's cloudy there a lot, but it doesn't rain THAT often.  And in Eastern Washington, it's actually quite dry and warm.

You do not know of what you speak of! Western Washington is the greyest, rainiest, most depressing place in the entire world!

Okay, well, which part are you in?  North or south of Seattle?  'Cause here in the south it was sunny and dreadfully hot for at least a month or two.  Now, of course, as soon as I say that it can be warm here, it decides to rain, but hey, summers are miserable!  GIVE ME WINTER!  GIVE ME RAIN!  (Sorry, I just absolutely hate summer.  Maybe I'm a vampire.  ;))
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Cornflower MM

Quote from: rachel25 on July 23, 2014, 05:24:21 PM
I think Wylder saying he didn't like it.  ;)

I know. But what's the big beak about Twilight, is what I was asking rhetorically. It still is.

rachel25

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 23, 2014, 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 23, 2014, 04:00:55 PM

But... romance...  And why is it in Washington?  I mean, sure, it's cloudy there a lot, but it doesn't rain THAT often.  And in Eastern Washington, it's actually quite dry and warm.

Okay, well, which part are you in?  North or south of Seattle?  'Cause here in the south it was sunny and dreadfully hot for at least a month or two.  Now, of course, as soon as I say that it can be warm here, it decides to rain, but hey, summers are miserable!  GIVE ME WINTER!  GIVE ME RAIN!  (Sorry, I just absolutely hate summer.  Maybe I'm a vampire.  ;))
Its been hot here for ages. Though we did have some thunder, and lightening storms the other week.

Cornflower MM

Oh, yes. It gets up to ninety every day here. . . . .  :( :( :(

saxophone_cat

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 16, 2014, 12:04:02 AM
Well, Ms. Meyer decided that they'd sparkle. So, they sparkle. And look beautiful.

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 15, 2014, 11:48:54 PM
...Aren't vampires supposed to burn in daylight, not sparkle...?

In Skyrim, a vampire's blood boils in the sunlight, making them lose their stamina and not regenerate health quickly (if at all).  In Supernatural, the light just hurts their eyes...

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2014, 11:33:43 PM
Quote from: Rainshadow on July 15, 2014, 09:17:33 PM
Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 15, 2014, 08:53:31 PM
You should read the books, then, Rain. Just to give it a shot. Pleeeeaaaase? I want someone to obsess over the series with....

Lol, I'm pretty sure I'd get disgusted looks from the rest of my family if I chose to read them.  (My family despises the series.  I'm more of the "meh" opinion.)

Aww, come on! Please? Just the first one!

But... romance...  And why is it in Washington?  I mean, sure, it's cloudy there a lot, but it doesn't rain THAT often.  And in Eastern Washington, it's actually quite dry and warm.

What's wrong with romance? C'mon, it's not THAT bad, I promise!

And, the Olympic Peninsula (As I've pointed out before) Is supposed to be the rainiest place i the world. As they sparkle in sunlight, they decided to move there again.

They sparkle because  the venom found in vampire  saliva  crystallizes  the cells causing them to sparkle and shine in the sunlight. Source: Twilight Illustrated Guide
The Chinese Fireball, ooooh!

Rusvul

...Why is their saliva venom in their skin, though? And why does it crystallize?