News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Lily on March 16, 2012, 09:04:11 AM
They're written in first person present tense; it was a little grating to read at first but you get used to it. I found it actually suited the tone of the book.

I got use to first person reading Gail Levine. But that is not as strange as reading a book in second person.

You look around and wonder where you could be.

I read a book in that fashion, and it was strange.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Icefire

Quote from: Lily on March 16, 2012, 09:04:11 AM
Quote from: Bragoon on March 15, 2012, 09:04:57 PM
I haven't read any of the Hunger Games books, but until a couple of people on here mentioned them, none of the people who had recommended them to me were people who's opinions on literature were ones I valued.  But, seeing Icefire and Lily mention them, I'll give them a shot.
I wouldn't say they're the best quality literature I've ever read, but they're real page turners and I really like the story. They're written in first person present tense; it was a little grating to read at first but you get used to it. I found it actually suited the tone of the book.
NOTE! I did not say I like them. I really don't like them, but I can't put them down and I have to read the last book. (Yeah, I finished the 2nd book the same way I finished the 1st book....two nights in a row that I'm up 'til 2am :P).  I don't like the whole concept of putting 24 teens in an arena and having them fight to the death, I'm not a big fan of the main character, and the whole romance angle drives me crazy (that poor guy). I must admit, though, there are some pretty funny parts.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Bragoon

Ah, okay, maybe not then.   :P  Thanks for clearing that up. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Icefire

I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't like them, though. And I still have to read the third one AND, having seen the comercial, I know I'm gonna have to watch the movie.

Hey, Lily! Peeta or Gale?

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lily

Quote from: Icefire on March 16, 2012, 03:32:22 PM
I don't like the whole concept of putting 24 teens in an arena and having them fight to the death, I'm not a big fan of the main character, and the whole romance angle drives me crazy (that poor guy). I must admit, though, there are some pretty funny parts.
I don't think you're supposed to like the concept of putting 24 teens in an arena and having them fight to the death! I think the whole point is that it's a barbaric, despicable thing to do, and that's why the events of the third book happen. I also think Collins made Katniss a bit unlikeable on purpose. I like the fact that she's flawed. I can't say exactly why without talking about what happens in Mockingjay though, so I'm going to stop there... ;)

Quote from: Icefire on March 17, 2012, 01:42:24 PM
Hey, Lily! Peeta or Gale?
Haha! I am also not a huge fan of the romance side of things. That's generally not what I think about at all when I read books, so I didn't really have a preference either way while I was reading the series. I felt sorry for both of them in different ways.

Icefire

Yeah, I was thinking about that after I posted. I think I probably have the reaction she was aiming for, but I've got to wonder why she made a book full of events designed to make people mad.
I don't like the whole romance angle, but I keep having people ask me that question! I know which I prefer, but there are times when the other would make a better partner....maybe not a better husband, but a better partner....
It's killing me that I can't get my greedy little hands on Mockingjay! AND It's driving me crazy that I want to read a book in a series I don't like! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Bragoon

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on March 18, 2012, 04:27:14 AM
I really like the InkHeart series
Me too.  I like the first book the best, mostly because it's the best on it's own without the support of the other two.  Some of Cornelia Funke's other books are good too, like The Thief Lord. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Dannflower Reguba

Anyone else on this Forum read Wally McDoogle?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Nightfire

I've never heard of him. :-\ I just finished reading the Homelander series. It was epic. Have any of you ever read The Old Republic: Revan?
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: danflorreguba on March 22, 2012, 05:49:38 PM
Anyone else on this Forum read Wally McDoogle?
Oh, I have! Those books are HILARIOUS! :D :D :D
I finished Nightbirds on Nantucket yesterday, now I've just started The Enchanted Castle.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Icefire

Back to A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens...

RedwallForever12

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
Wolves Of The Beyond: Frost Wolf
The Ear, The Eye,  And The Arm'
Zombie Survival Guide
"Friendship is something that th blind can see and the deaf can hear"

RP Description:
  Creature: Ferret
  Color: Sable
Attitude: Sly, suspicious, natural mother
Extra: Loves to poison enemies, is nice to good creatures.
           HATES Wildcat

Bragoon

Quote from: RedwallForever12 on March 23, 2012, 09:17:21 PM
Zombie Survival Guide

The one by Max Brooks?  I found it fun to read, and amusing that he put so much time into planning it all out and thinking it all up. 

I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring.  I finished The Hobbit, The Fellowship, and The Two Towers years ago, but I decided I needed a fresher look at the whole series.

White One6193

Quote from: Icefire on March 19, 2012, 03:32:51 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that after I posted. I think I probably have the reaction she was aiming for, but I've got to wonder why she made a book full of events designed to make people mad.
I don't like the whole romance angle, but I keep having people ask me that question! It's driving me crazy that I want to read a book in a series I don't like! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I know completely what ya mean, Ice! :P Fan reaction is supposed to be positive, that is the whole point of fandom. Plus, I'm not even a fan! My little sister introduced me to the books. It's got absolutely atrocious prose, the storyline is so angsty it wants me to pull out my own hair, and the heroine is just barely likable. And yet, at the same time, the books are Un-put-down-able! AAARGH!

On a completely DIFFERENT topic, please God, I ask: Has anyone here ever read John Ringo, Eric Flint, or David Weber? They're pretty major SciFi authors, if anybody's into that here...

From John Ringo, I like his book Watch on the Rhine best, with Live Free or Die at reeally close second. With Eric Flint, I like his 1632 series best. Dave Weber, however is my absolute favorite, with his Honor Harrington books.

Go to Baen.com, the Baen Books publishing site, and look up these series and books. I'm pretty sure most of those who like good science fiction, (and a lot of those who don't!) will like 'em! :D :D :D 

"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!