What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White One6193

Quote from: Bragoon on March 15, 2012, 09:04:57 PM
I'm reading Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville.

Well, well, well! A young scholar of American history, eh? That makes me feel good, that there are others as interested as me. Ha-Ha! Once you're done with de Tocqueville, try reading Common Sense and then Sir Winston Churchill's History of the Western Nations, specifically the chapters devoted to the formation and birth of the United States.

Then, if you're ever in a darker mood, see how a nation like ours could possibly end. Read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. The parallels to current events are ominous, to say the least.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Icefire

Creepy how history repeats itself, isn't it? You'd think we'd learn. Then again, sin makes us stupid!

I haven't read much sci-fi. I'll add them to my very long list of books to read, though!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Redwallfan7

I'm starting The Secret Country (book one) by Pamela Dean. Great read so far.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

White One6193

Quote from: Icefire on March 25, 2012, 01:56:44 PM
Creepy how history repeats itself, isn't it? You'd think we'd learn.

I haven't read much sci-fi. I'll add them to my very long list of books to read, though!

Isn't it just?

On the second topic: I think, from what i've read of your posts, Ice, you'll definitely enjoy some good hard SF.

Bragoon

Ender's Game.  Sci-Fi in all it's glory. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Sin doesn't make people stupid. It makes people dead-just dead. Stupidity comes from not being omniscient.

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm reading Plato's The Republic. And some adventures of Sherlock Homes.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on March 26, 2012, 02:41:46 AM
Sin doesn't make people stupid. It makes people dead-just dead. Stupidity comes from not being omniscient.

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm reading Plato's The Republic. And some adventures of Sherlock Homes.
Horray, another Holmes fan! I'm re-reading The Hound of the Baskervilles in between my re-reads of the Redwall series and The Hunger Games series... I seem to be doing a lot of re-reading. What stories have you read recently?

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I read the Red-headed League, a Scandal in Bohemia and the Speckled Band most recently. I'm currently reading A Case in Identity.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on March 26, 2012, 03:14:46 AM
I read the Red-headed League, a Scandal in Bohemia and the Speckled Band most recently. I'm currently reading A Case in Identity.
Haha, the Red-headed League amused me. "Noooope, we won't hire you, your hair isn't red enough."

White One6193

The Speckled Band. Classic. Speaking of the eloquent Mr. Holmes, has anyone seen the new BBC series "SHERLOCK"?

It's amazing.

Dannflower Reguba

I thought we were talking about Redwall books ???
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Bragoon

We can talk about any, since we're in Cavern Hole. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Dannflower Reguba

Oh, I guess that makes sense since it's under General Boards and not Redwall discusion.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Mad Maudie

well i just finished the hunger games that book is amazing!!!!!!!!!! i could not put it down and the next day i went and saw the movie that was awesome too right now i am reading warriors new prophesy dawn
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: White One6193 on March 26, 2012, 04:37:36 PM
The Speckled Band. Classic. Speaking of the eloquent Mr. Holmes, has anyone seen the new BBC series "SHERLOCK"?

It's amazing.
YES!!! IT IS AWESOMESAUCE!!!
Received mostly negative reviews.