News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Crazy Facts and Myths Debunked

Started by Skyblade, February 07, 2015, 01:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

I almost made that post, but decide not to because I would just be being contrary...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rusvul

It would have been, because you're a person that isn't me. Strange how that works.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Izeroth on February 11, 2015, 12:30:04 AM
Ostriches don't bury their heads in the ground.
Hold on a moment there.

The great Roman naturalist Pliny apparently observed this phenomenon and commented on it. Who are you to question him? Have you ever even seen an ostrich in person? Countless people throughout history, who, unlike you, have been near Africa, have attested that the birds do, in fact, do this. What's more likely -- that millions of people are lying, or that your opinion is flawed? ;-)
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

I'm not saying they do or do not stick their heads in the ground, but I'm sure it would not be for the reasons many might think.

When you smell bread baking, that smell is actually the aroma of alcohol evaporating.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Space is nothing, Also if you were to go into space without the proper equipment it would rip you apart and literally turn you inside out.

Also there is no sound in space you can't hear.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Starla1431

Quote from: James Gryphon on February 26, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
Hold on a moment there.

The great Roman naturalist Pliny apparently observed this phenomenon and commented on it. Who are you to question him? Have you ever even seen an ostrich in person? Countless people throughout history, who, unlike you, have been near Africa, have attested that the birds do, in fact, do this. What's more likely -- that millions of people are lying, or that your opinion is flawed? ;-)

They do, in fact, bury their eggs in the ground and will stick their head in the hole to turn their eggs.

Izeroth

Quote from: James Gryphon on February 26, 2015, 01:58:43 PM
Hold on a moment there.

Actually, that's a myth: ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand! When an ostrich senses danger and cannot run away, it flops to the ground and remains still, with its head and neck flat on the ground in front of it. Because the head and neck are lightly colored, they blend in with the color of the soil. From a distance, it just looks like the ostrich has buried its head in the sand, because only the body is visible. Some ostrich eggs are lost to hyenas, jackals, and even Egyptian vultures, which break open eggs by dropping stones on them. But when an adult ostrich is threatened, it attacks with a ?clawed foot that delivers a kick powerful enough to kill a lion.

Source:
http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/ostrich

James Gryphon

So you already claimed. Yet I notice that you did nothing to address the sources that I provided. Repeating yourself isn't enough to win a debate; you have to back it up with facts.

Here is the exact quote from the great Pliny:

Quote from: Pliny...but their stupidity is no less remarkable; for although the rest of their body is so large, they imagine, when they have thrust their head and neck into a bush, that the whole of the body is concealed.

By disputing this you are calling Pliny and billions of others, including distinguished writers and nature experts, all liars. Surely you don't think your opinion outweighs the experience of men who have so accurately described the ostrich for the benefit of the Western world?

Answer this: do you think Pliny and billions of other people were lying? Yes or no?
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

I do not believe they were lying, but merely misinterpreting what they saw. Perhaps Pliny, observing an ostrich, thought that it was burying its head in the ground when in fact the head and neck blended with the surrounding terrain.

Is there any modern source you could cite? (No offense intended-- I'm actually interested to know.)

Rusvul

I have little context, and little knowledge, but I don't think the implication was that Pliny was lying, but rather that he was mistaken. And while I dont know whether or not ostriches. Hey their heads, it seems unlikely that they would do so due to stupidity. I doubt such a trait would become prevalent if it was completely inane.

James Gryphon

Quote from: IzerothIs there any modern source you could cite?
Quote from: The James Animal EncyclopediaContrary to 20th-century opinion, the ostrich has been scientifically determined to be the world's dumbest bird. A zookeeper taking care of ostriches held in captivity found large concentrations of dirt on the birds' head. Curious, researchers put up video cameras to study their behavior. They were seen ducking their heads in the earth when frightened by loud noise from the lions.

A modern source. I know it's reliable; I just made it up. So, we good? :)

Quote from: Izeroth on February 26, 2015, 03:42:47 AMYou can't debate that.
Oh no?

;)

---

I don't know if this one's already been done, but if so I'll say it again anyway, since it's such a common belief -- chewing gum doesn't get stuck in your digestive system for seven years.

Eating doesn't cause the infamous 'cramps' when swimming.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: James Gryphon on February 26, 2015, 10:29:35 PM

Eating doesn't cause the infamous 'cramps' when swimming.

Nope it doesn't however it increases the chance of you vomiting up said food and us Life Guards HATE cleaning vomit out of the pool, Not the way we want to spend our afternoon, sooo wait for some time before going swimming after eating pls.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Skyblade

I remember these are in a Magic Tree House research guide

- A million marbles would fill the inside of a small car
- A billion marbles would fill the inside of a two-story house
- A trillion marbles would fill the biggest domed stadium up to the roof

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!