News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

The Paris Attacks

Started by LT Sandpaw, November 15, 2015, 10:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

No, it's the standard accepted transliteration of the Arabic word. I. e. it's the correct spelling. Koran was the original transliteration and is now outdated.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Vilu Daskar

Maybe Koran is American, my computer says Qur'an is a misspelling. 
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Blaggut

I'm american and i see it spelled qur'an usually, though it does say its a misspelling for me. My dad's copy of the Qur'an is spelled Qur'an.

(no my dad isn't muslim :P)
~Just a soft space boi~

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on November 17, 2015, 09:27:20 PM
Maybe Koran is American, my computer says Qur'an is a misspelling. 
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 17, 2015, 09:24:11 PM
No, it's the standard accepted transliteration of the Arabic word. I. e. it's the correct spelling. Koran was the original transliteration and is now outdated.

I assume the computers you use were made before the change? Assuming the change is recent.

Vilu Daskar

I've got Windows XP so possibly.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

LT Sandpaw

Depending on which language you're using when its spelled out it looks like al-qur??n, but when you switch it into an English translation it comes out Koran.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 17, 2015, 07:14:39 PM
Guys it's Qur'an, come on.

Since the IRA want people of other religions to be prevented from interfering with Irish affairs, I'd say that they are very much fighting for their beliefs.
But the whole reason the IRA exists is to form a country independent of Britain.  You can't say that that's a religious objective.

The KKK is also a predominantly Christian organisation. You cannot pretend that Muslims have the only terrorists, that's just disingenuous.
You can't compare what the KKK does in disobedience and violation of the New Testament to what (your numbers) six percent of Mohammedans do in obedience to their holy book.

On that subject, why the quotation marks Jukka? Only six percent of Muslims are terrorists you know, the majority are content to live in peace.
Jet, there are 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide, and six percent of that is ninety-six million.  Apparently there are ninety-six million Muslims (probably more) around the world prepared to blow you up or who support those who would.  And half of them probably live in the UK. ;)  Lol, just kidding, but incidentally, the most popular baby name in the UK is Mohammed...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Ashenwyte

I think another example of religious wars from another religion are the Crusades.

The Paris attacks are a tragic event. I will pray for Paris and the families of the victims.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Rusvul

Muslims see the extremists of their religion in the same light as you see the KKK. Islam is not an inherently violent religion, but every religion has its extremists.
  The Qur'an is interpreted by different people in different ways, just as the Bible is. You have lots of different groups of Christians, there are several sects of Islam as well. The vast majority are nonviolent. A few (fanatical) people interpret their book differently, and have decided that they need to attack people. Of course, attacking people isn't okay- But just because there's people who go too far doesn't mean everyone does.
  The KKK is a decent analogy- They interpreted the Bible differently, and because of that did bad things, many other Christian sects condemned their actions, and it's recognized that not all Christians are fanatical racists. The point you're making is analogous to condemning all Christians for the acts of the KKK.

(Incidentally, the word 'Islam' and the Arabic word for peace are derived from the same root. I'm not sure if that's actually significant or not, could just be coincidence, I'm not sure.)

Yeah, though, terrorism is bad. I hope as many people as possible who are already alright stay that way... It's rather disheartening to see this kind of thing happening in the world.

EDIT: Just realized that you aren't condemning Muslims, you're saying that the Qur'an advocates terrorism. Similar but distinctly different. My bad. I'll leave my post the way it is (for now at least) but I do realize that I may have misrepresented your position. (I still disagree, though, as you're focusing on only the negative of the Qur'an, which is by no means the whole book. There's a lot that preaches love and peace, too.)

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 18, 2015, 03:35:54 AM
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 17, 2015, 07:14:39 PM
Guys it's Qur'an, come on.

Since the IRA want people of other religions to be prevented from interfering with Irish affairs, I'd say that they are very much fighting for their beliefs.
But the whole reason the IRA exists is to form a country independent of Britain.  You can't say that that's a religious objective.

The KKK is also a predominantly Christian organisation. You cannot pretend that Muslims have the only terrorists, that's just disingenuous.
You can't compare what the KKK does in disobedience and violation of the New Testament to what (your numbers) six percent of Mohammedans do in obedience to their holy book.

On that subject, why the quotation marks Jukka? Only six percent of Muslims are terrorists you know, the majority are content to live in peace.
Jet, there are 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide, and six percent of that is ninety-six million.  Apparently there are ninety-six million Muslims (probably more) around the world prepared to blow you up or who support those who would.  And half of them probably live in the UK. ;)  Lol, just kidding, but incidentally, the most popular baby name in the UK is Mohammed...
One of their objectives is religious, the others aren't.

Okay, sure it's a large number, but Islam is the most common religion in the world. Mohammed is the most common forename in the world. And yes the UK probably holds many terrorists, but I'm sure they're pretty widespread in every country.

Blaggut

From what those who have read it told me, it doesn't preach much. It's just a ton of scrambled together words and 'Allahu Ackbars'. I haven't read it myself so I can't really say.
~Just a soft space boi~

Rusvul

I'm inclined to disagree with that viewpoint, though I am perhaps not the most qualified to do so, having read neither the Qur'an or the Bible. However, the paragraphs of both I've read and heard quoted are quite similar.

Hickory

Quote from: PoseidonPercy, lesser beings do many horrible things in the name of the gods. That does not mean we gods approve. The way our sons and daughters act in our names...well, it usually says more about them than it does about us.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Blaggut on November 18, 2015, 06:42:48 PM
From what those who have read it told me, it doesn't preach much. It's just a ton of scrambled together words and 'Allahu Ackbars'. I haven't read it myself so I can't really say.

I haven't read it, but from little snippets I've read that's not the case. Also, it's 'Allahu Akbar', not 'Allahu Ackbar'.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on November 18, 2015, 11:12:39 PM
Quote from: Blaggut on November 18, 2015, 06:42:48 PM

I haven't read it, but from little snippets I've read that's not the case. Also, it's 'Allahu Akbar', not 'Allahu Ackbar'.
But it is Admiral Ackbar

I'll see myself out
baby turtle forever