News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

2016 Presidential Elections

Started by Hickory, September 03, 2016, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Quote from: Groddil on September 08, 2016, 12:21:07 AM
The reason Hillary is the best presidential candidate
[close]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHSHSYAHA
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Quote from: FatchWho should I vote for?

My question as well. I don't know who's the lesser of two evils.

How are the third party candidates? Not that I'll probably vote them; it seems unlikely they'll win. Perhaps I could do what James suggested and support them in the hopes that they become a bigger thing later.

However, what are they like? I don't know much, other than that Gary Johnson (the Libertarian candidate) doesn't know what Aleppo is.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

I'll give the new poll the weekend, then choose a new presidential topic.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Skyblade on September 09, 2016, 04:44:13 AM

Instead of picking the lesser of two evils (Which is darn near impossible nowadays) why not just not vote? Really, is it so ingrained in y'all's brain TO vote that NOT voting isn't an option?

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 07, 2016, 11:58:09 PM

I resentfully support the electoral system. Kinda how I support Trump actually.

If it worked like it's supposed to I might think it was a good idea, but it doesn't.

Quote from: Skarzs on September 08, 2016, 01:15:10 AM
Hilary makes me want my face cave in until I'm nothing but a black hole.

Well hey, lookit the bright side! She might not even last until November. If she does, well, I don't think she'd last much longer. My question is what the heck are they planning..  . .

Also, guys, why does your vote have to be Clinton or Trump? If you have to vote, why not take a vote away from either of them? They're both dirty, cheating liars.

LT Sandpaw

Because we have an Electoral college who will vote, whether we vote or not. And while Trump is rude, and pompous and a bully. He's not a criminal, who kills his enemies, and sells out his country, and is a pathological liar. Because that is what Hillary is, and also because I have the right to vote as an American citizen and if we don't exercise these rights, like the Second Amendment, and the First Amendment we'll lose these rights.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

Well, I'd like to point out that "pathological" is not the same as being a "psychopath" or "sociopath". It means "involving, caused by, or of the nature of a physical or mental disease". It can also be informally described as "compulsive".

Hillary is not a compulsive liar, that is, someone who tells lies just for the sake of it. Everything she does is calculated towards getting better results for Hillary. I firmly believe she is amoral, and it's likely she does possess psychopathic tendencies, but that's not the same thing as being a "pathological" liar.

(Incidentally, Politifact's review of Donald Trump's statements more strongly make the case that he could be a pathological liar, as he's recorded as making more false statements than true ones, even when his lies are easily disproven and it seems like he could get along as well by just spinning the truth like everyone else does. However, I'm inclined to believe that Trump's dishonesty, like Hillary's, is strategic, and that he's simply playing to his base, most of whom have already bought into the narrative that Trump is an unusually honest man by virtue of his being politically incorrect, and simply won't listen to any argument that proposes the contrary.)
« Subject to editing »

Kitsune

Cornflower MM

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Peony on September 09, 2016, 03:36:07 PM
Quote from: Skyblade on September 09, 2016, 04:44:13 AM

Instead of picking the lesser of two evils (Which is darn near impossible nowadays) why not just not vote? Really, is it so ingrained in y'all's brain TO vote that NOT voting isn't an option?

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 07, 2016, 11:58:09 PM

I resentfully support the electoral system. Kinda how I support Trump actually.

If it worked like it's supposed to I might think it was a good idea, but it doesn't.

Quote from: Skarzs on September 08, 2016, 01:15:10 AM
Hilary makes me want my face cave in until I'm nothing but a black hole.

Well hey, lookit the bright side! She might not even last until November. If she does, well, I don't think she'd last much longer. My question is what the heck are they planning..  . .

Also, guys, why does your vote have to be Clinton or Trump? If you have to vote, why not take a vote away from either of them? They're both dirty, cheating liars.

Simple: If you don't vote then that's one less voter voting for the better candidate, whoever you believe that to be. Every vote counts, and your vote could have helped to change the outcome.

As to why vote for Trump or Hillary, also simple: One of them is going to win. Most other people in the country will be voting for Trump or Hillary, therefore if you vote for neither of them, you're one lost vote for the candidate you find least objectionable.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Thomas JeffersonWe in America do not have government by the majority-- we have government by the majority who participate... All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

@Peony: ^^
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

But we use the the electorial system. Who says they vote for who they're supposed to?

Wylder Treejumper

So called "Faithless Electors" are extremely rare. We are currently debating the virtues of the electoral system in my We the People class (My favorite class, BTW), and very few have ever occurred throughout history. The last one I can recall was an elector from North Carolina in 1968 that voted for George Wallace. The electoral system has its own problems, but faithless electors are just about the least of them.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jetthebinturong

Can Americans move for a vote of no confidence?

Wylder Treejumper

@Jet the binturong: ...As in, get rid of the current candidates? Or to remove the President from office?
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Jetthebinturong

Remove the president from office.