News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Hunger Games discussion

Started by BrookSkimmer, March 23, 2012, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: Dawnwing on August 24, 2012, 07:15:53 AM
Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 06:55:31 AM
she could have chosen to not participate (not give-in to torture or intimidation)
And she just would have died brutally, scarring her sister for life and robbing her family of its only breadwinner. Her sister was the world to her; she would never just allow that to happen if she could help it. As it was, the only people that she personally meant to kill were Marvel (she was trying to save Rue) and Cato (which was a mercy kill).  It's not like she was one of the Career tributes hunting down everyone because she wanted to win glory.  Even if she didn't fight, it wouldn't stop the others from fighting.  The "Careers" in particular are raised to see it as a normal thing - this can be compared to abortion in our society; there was a time when pretty much anyone would have been horrified by the idea, whereas nowadays it's a regular thing and many people choose to do it, seeing nothing wrong with it.  In the second book, Katniss does hope for a brief moment that all the tributes would just decide not to fight, but she accepts that that won't happen.  But in the arena, she did what she could to try to slap the Capitol in the face - just look at the berry thing and how she covered Rue in flowers.

I second that.  Very well said.

Flandor

UNKNOWN, I'm not sure you quite understood Katniss' character if you feel she was morally off-base.  Quite literally the point of the books is that she is an otherwise morally sound person being thrown into a horrific situation that she has no choice but to try and survive, lest her sister and mother starve or her sister go into the arena to be massacred.  Are soldiers who are drafted into a war morally wrong for going? Most times they have no choice.  It is that, where they earn pay to feed their families, or go off to prison where they earn no money and are scorned by all of society.  Sometimes good people are forced to do horrible things.  That is the entire plot of the books.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lutra

Not that I've actually read this, but from what I've heard this sounds like the apocalypse where law doesn't exist and you kill to survive and the goal is to survive.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: Lutra on August 24, 2012, 12:28:16 PM
Not that I've actually read this, but from what I've heard this sounds like the apocalypse where law doesn't exist and you kill to survive and the goal is to survive.

Oh, there is law.  They do have to kill to survive, but that's for the President's personal enjoyment. :( Basically 24 kids, 12 of each gender, have to fight to the death in an arena.  It's not a choice for them, their names are drawn out of container.  The series is about defying the government, and having courage.  I'd highly recommend the series to anybody.

Flandor

Exactly, SpiderMonkey.  It's more of a too-much-government situation than total lawlessness.  What used to be America has been broken up into 13 districts, all ruled by the Capitol.  The districts produce everything for the Capitol.  The main character hails from District 12, one of the poorest.  They mine coal; it's located near present-day West Virginia.  There is never enough to eat, and Katniss is essentially the sole bread-winner for her mother and young sister.  To refuse to participate in the games would have meant that they'd most likely starve.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

UNKN0WN

<focus your attention on Post 311(page 8 )>

@ Flandor: let me clarify, (I understand that she wanted to guard and provide for those whom she loved with her life), I meant that what she did was very wrong (yes, I understand she also defended other people from death)

With your statement, "she is an otherwise morally sound person being thrown into a horrific situation that she has no choice but to try and survive," people are not a product of their culture.  She should have stayed firm in her morality (though I understand why she did it; fear, love for others)

@ Dawnwing: whether people think it is bad or not... doesn't define when you should do something or when you should not

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 03:05:20 PM
@ Flandor: let me clarify, (I understand that she wanted to guard and provide for those whom she loved with her life), I meant that what she did was very wrong (yes, I understand she also defended other people from death)

With your statement, "she is an otherwise morally sound person being thrown into a horrific situation that she has no choice but to try and survive," people are not a product of their culture.  She should have stayed firm in her morality (though I understand why she did it; fear, love for others)

@ Dawnwing: whether people think it is bad or not... doesn't define when you should do something or when you should not

So you're saying she was better off letting her young sister get brutally murdered by people much older and stronger than her?  I don't think you understand that you can't just say, "sorry, I don't really want to do that, pick somebody else."  It was either her or her sister, and she had a better chance of survival.

UNKN0WN

I understand she had great motives, but she tried to reach her goal using the wrong methods

(If your wondering, I don't think badly of those who like the Hungergames)

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
I understand she had great motives, but she tried to reach her goal using the wrong methods

Like what?  She only killed 2/3 people. (depending on if you consider the bee thing a kill or not.)  I'm not saying you're incorrect, I just want to understand what wrong methods she used.

UNKN0WN

I ask the question, did Katniss value human life (ignoring the given about her family/friends)

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 03:52:41 PM
I ask the question, did Katniss value human life (ignoring the given about her family/friends)

I'd say yes, because at the end of the first book/start of the second (I forget) She went on the "victory tour" when she saw the family of those she killed, she felt horrible about it.  Trust me on this one: Most of the characters in the book didn't like the hunger games or want to be any part of it.

Flandor

Of course she valued human life! That's why it was such a traumatic and horrific experience for her.  Are you saying if you were trapped in an arena with other people you'd let yourself be stabbed before you defended yourself, possibly killing the other person? Even the most moral of Redwallers kill in defense. 

UNKN0WN

I'm not saying defending yourself is wrong

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 04:09:51 PM
I'm not saying defending yourself is wrong

Then what are you saying?  I would read the books before making outlandish assumptions, you can't understand them if you don't read them.

UNKN0WN

I got a VERY detailed synopsis (here they are)

http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/hunger-games.aspx
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/h/hunger-games.aspx

I agree with the people on these sites.

@ Spidermonkey: I got to know the position she was in better and I still say the same thing

please recheck my earlier post, I stated it wrong and confused many people

(if your wondering, I'm seeing the fact that whole hungergames thing was a gruesome ordeal)