News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Tower of the Deep

Started by Norham Waterpaw, April 13, 2013, 03:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

The squirrel shrugged, you've got me, it's not like I know the way out or anything. If I did I wouldn't be standing here! It's probably best for one of you to pick a direction, maybe you'll think of something I haven't yet come around to."
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

KitrallStreamrippler

Rhys hesitated, tugging her ear. Then she closed her eyes and did a quick turn, pointing in a random direction. It was East. "Oh, good," she muttered. "East- the direction of hope, as it were."
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

OOC: Zae are ve goin' Eazt?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Rusvul

Rusvul grinned. "Ooh! I thought of something! Anybody know how to teleport? Maybe we could teleport out!". Rusvul checked the walls. "Or maybe not. There's a ward to prevent that, ugh, of course there is. Nevermind, no ideas." Seein that Rhys was going east, he followed her.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Cable sighed. Lost in a tower with unknown threats, and they were going with a decision made purely out of luck. He watched as Rhys and Rusvul started walking away. He sighed again. They were doomed. He started after them.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

KitrallStreamrippler

Rhys had been maintaining a small flame for light, but it went out suddenly, as an intense jolt of pain shot through her body. She cried out as she fell to her knees. Then, just as suddenly as the searing pain had begun, it stopped. Rhys felt gingerly around herself, until she felt a small sign scratched into the stone floor. When her paw touched it, the pain started again. With another cry, she pulled back and struggled to her feet. "Stop! Wait, I'll get a light- don't come any closer," she cautioned her companions. Cursing softly, Rhys tried to relight her fire- only to find it impossible. "Blood and vinegar," she swore.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Rusvul

"Is it another ward? Is that why it's taking you ages to light the fire again? Rusvul tore off a piece of his tunic, struck a dagger against the wall to spark it, then held the burning cloth by the rune. It was small, blue-grey, and around its outline here were red-gold spikes carved in relief.  Rusvul squinted at it, identifying the rune. "Doloro... Err, I can't make that part out... Anima Contego. A magic-protection rune that causes pain. Strange thing to be on a floor. Should we proceed? Or would it be best to turn back and try another way?"

KitrallStreamrippler

Rhys sighed. "Let's just continue. Rus, do you know how long the effects will last? The pain is only when I'm touching that rune, but I still can't use my magic."

Rusvul

Rusvul groaned. "It looks like an old rune, but one can never be sure how potent it was when it was new. It could last anywhere between ten minutes, up to several days. You might be magically incapacitated for a while. Or, you might not. No way to know, really. Just repeatedly try to use your magic, eventually it'll work."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

"Repeating will only wear you out." Cable said. "Best probably to save your strength for whatever lies ahead."

KitrallStreamrippler

Nodding glumly, Rhys sighed and continued going east. From time to time, the others would hear her cursing softly as she tried her magic. She only did this infrequently, however, as Cable's advice made sense.

Dannflower Reguba

Amos's body followed through the air as Sedge took the rear... He watched the proceedings with a practiced eye, "Tip from the deep, find something to apply your magic to rather than holding it in your hand, it will save you a lot of trouble."

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

KitrallStreamrippler

"Something to apply it to?" Rhys echoed, puzzled. "Oh! You mean a focus, right?" Only half-listening for an answer, she dug around in her beltpouch until she found what she was looking for- a large, oval locket. "Will this work?"

Dannflower Reguba

"If it can burn," The squirrel went on to answer Rhys's question, "I mean something that you can literally stick your magic on to. For fire, something that burns, there are other types of magic that can be applied to just about anything."

Rusvul

Rusvul nodded. "Oh, like my invisibility? I often find it easier to make my cloak invisible, then cover myself with the cloak, thus making me invisible. But invisible iron and steel and the like seem to be much harder. Gold, silver, copper, and brass never seem to be a problem. I'm not sure why, something to do with the positive-negativey energy thingummies, I think..."