Martin and Rose..... Relationship?

Started by martins#1fan, July 25, 2011, 07:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martins#1fan

In the TV series, Martin and Rose said they loved each other. I don't recall them saying that in the book.
Any thoughts??
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Captain Tammo

I remember in the book they loved each other, and in either that book, or a different one it said "...and rose, the love of martin's life..." also the mole that lived in the tree in Martin the warrior said that rose was locked in martins heart forever. I don't remember them ever kissing though like they did in the show before the big battle
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Dotti

I don't think they ever did kiss in the book.  Brian Jaques kept most of details of romance out of the books.  I personally don't like the tv series nearly as much as the books.  Although it was helpful to actually hear the moles' accent. :)
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Osu

They never said "I love you" with a dramatic kissing scene like in the movies, but if you read between the lines, they very clearly loved each other. I haven't read the book in a long while, but I do know that I came away from it absolutely sure Martin loved Rose and that was that. I can't say if Rose felt the same, but I'd assume she did... that whole star-crossed romance that ends in tragedy thing.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Dotti

Rose definately returned Martin's love.  Before they set off for the battle of Marshank, she made some remark to her mother (who was concerned about Martin's agression)  about how after the battle she (Rose) would bring Martin back to Noonvale and make him a gentle creature.  (And then presumably marry him)  I prefer Brian Jaques' style of writing about romance to a huge kissing scene. 
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Lutra

There was definitely a relationship present, whichever you view--books or series.  No overdramatics in either (ala Will and Elizabeth during a battle  ::) )
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Folgrimeo

I didn't need the word "love" in the book to know that they were. Even without knowing about Rose beforehand or her fate, I definitely sensed a strong friendship between the two, better than with any other character pair. So if there can be said to be romance in any Redwall book, it'd be there. It was handled so well, in fact, that I didn't want them to marry. As soon as that happens and characters settle down, it sometimes results in jumping the shark (good thing then that marriages and new kings happen at the end of Redwall books). Turns out those fears were unfounded... but still, it was one of those cases where if it were just a friendship, then I'd much prefer their relationship to stay platonic than go romantic. I wouldn't have cared to see them giving massages or nibbling eachother's ears.

Lily

I also love how the whole relationship was handled. I'm not a fan of overly soppy romance, so I like the subtle way in which Brian Jacques told the story of their relationship. There was a lot of paw-holding, sure, but no gratuitous kissing like seems to happen in every other romance. That made it all the more beautiful, I think. And all the more tragic.

Interestingly enough, as a kid reading the book I just thought they were really good friends. It was only as I read and re-read the book over the years that I realised what their relationship actually was. I was such an innocent little child.  ;)

martins#1fan

Martin showed it more than Rose did, however, Rose did say some things in the book to prove that wrong.

Log-a-Log

I think Martin really loved Rose because after she died, he really never got over it and looked for someone else.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

Quote from: Dotti on July 26, 2011, 02:25:03 AMI prefer Brian Jaques' style of writing about romance to a huge kissing scene. 
Others have said it too, but I must quote to say I agree wholeheartedly. Absolutely I prefer BJ's way of handling romance as opposed to... just about everything else, I suppose.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

DanielofRedwall

Remember the part where they ate some cherry cake or something from either ends and then met in the middle? Times like these I have no doubt there was a relationship.
Received mostly negative reviews.

martins#1fan

I guess they intended to get married... I mean Rose said she'd bring him back to Noonvale and make him peaceful.

Tiria Wildlough

Definitely that kind of relationship. ::)
I love reading between the lines to figure things out, like that. It's fun to guess, but Rose dying was sooooo saaaaad.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
I think Martin did love her, and she loved him.
@Captain Tammo: Where does it say, '...and Rose, the love of Martin's life'?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Gonff

They did have a very loving relationship but I have not seen the TV series and I know that in the book they did not kiss or have any really dramatic scenes together. I think they were planning to get married.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday