News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Arena II

Started by James Gryphon, July 29, 2015, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

OOC: Let's just all wait for James.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Yes we need the map...

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

James Gryphon

OOC: Y'all got way carried away here. It's going to take me some time to straighten this out.

Firstly, on the elevator... from my cursory reading on the subject, elevators are often deactivated following a smoke sensor or fire alarm being triggered. This isn't always the case, though, and regardless, as for some reason no fire alarm had been triggered, the elevator should still work (unless of course the fire destroys it).

Secondly, motion really shouldn't be as "cheap" as it seems to be sometimes -- I don't really want y'all to switch floors "just like that", in one post. This is a big place and it should take some time to go places. Certainly you shouldn't have the opportunity to go from one end to the other and back without being potentially attacked.

Anyway. I wasn't going to put up a map of the arena, but since y'all did ask for it, and since I do think it will help clarify things a bit, here it is:

This covers only the first floor (there was a second floor map, but it's even more grossly outdated). Note that this is pre-fire. The blue circle on the gray platform is Skyblade, to give you some idea of the scale.

So, now to execute y'all's actions...

---

@Skyblade: You see the pool quite clearly from your current position. Nothing seems to be amiss. Where the fire has come up to the edges of the pool, it's gone no further. It should be a safe dive from your current position.

You see lots of sparkling things at the bottom of the pool; they're too small to make out distinctly from here.

You also see something that looks like a chest down there. (result: 10)

Your look at where the tables used to be is much less productive. Smoke completely obscures your view of the area. (result: 2)

@Faiyloe: The box reads "PULL IN CASE OF FIRE". There is a small lever in the center.

Delthion goes up to the second floor, and is hit directly in the face by Skyblade's bucket. It's a good throw; Del is momentarily stunned by the five-pound object hitting his face (good thing for him there wasn't any ice in it). One of his eyes is also bruised and swollen shut. (result: 10)

Soren inserts a dollar in the candy machine, and gets a bag of M&Ms in return.

@Sandpaw: The fire surrounds you to the north, west, and south. Through the smoke you can still see some unaffected floor to the east, northeast, and southeast. From here, you can make your way to the elevator, or take your chances and run to either the observation deck or the front desk. The fire doesn't seem to have gotten past the desk or onto the deck yet.

You cough violently. (result: 7)

@Ashenwyte: The tables are pretty solidly built, and easily support you. From here you can also get a slightly better view of all the destruction you've caused.

@Faiyloe: There's a large quantity of coins of all types and sizes scattered around the bottom of the pool. There's also something that looks like a stereotypical pirate treasure chest down near them. You find that you're winded after your recent activities, however, and can't yet hold your breath for long enough to go to the bottom and back. (result: 2)
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

OOC: Thank you, James!

IC: *Puts binoculars on floor so I won't damage them. Dives into pool and tries to get the chest before coming back up to the surface*

OOC edit: I just realized that that was a reckless decision.

LT Sandpaw

*Kneels on the floor and attempts to use my hook to tear up one of the sofa cushions, I plan on using the fabric to cover my mouth and nose to save my lungs a little from the smoke* Then I crawl along the floor towards the observation deck as fast as humanly possible dragging my fishing pool with me* 

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Faiyloe

*I come back up gasping for air* *I grab a hold of the now floating helium tank to assist me and give me a bit of a rest* *I look over as Sky dives into the pool*I see the fire licking at the edge of the pool* *I take another deep breath and dive down to collect as many coins as I can*
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Søren

*strolls into corner, munching M&Ms*

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

Skyblade dives into the pool and attempts to pick up the chest. It is quite heavy, especially underwater. Sky tries to move it, but it doesn't budge a bit. In the midst of attempting to pull it up, she strains too hard, and accidentally attempts to take a breath. Water floods into her mouth and nose.
@Skyblade: You are drowning. (result: 1)

Sandpaw's small hook doesn't cut into the cushion very well, but with some time and effort he's able to pull a sufficient amount of fabric apart.

It isn't easy, but Sand manages to make his way to the first step of the observation deck, just ahead of the fire. (result: 5)

@Sandpaw: You can feel the heat from the fire.

Your eyes water.

You cough underneath your makeshift handkerchief. It helps, but it doesn't offer complete protection.

@Faiyloe: You pick up a few coins from the bottom. On further examination, you find that you've acquired 89¢ in coins, not counting a German mark, two pesos, and a shilling.

@Soren: The M&Ms melt in your mouth.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

*Tries to swim to surface*

Delthion

*Comes down through elevator.*

OOC: This was working....right?
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Delthion on August 16, 2015, 01:33:51 AM
*Comes down through elevator.*

OOC: This was working....right?
I'm a little confused -- didn't you just dive off after Faiy into the pool? But yes, the elevator is (so far) functioning. How much longer that'll be, we'll see.

Skyblade tries to thrash her way back to the top of the pool. She doesn't quite manage to break the surface, but her arm brushes against Faiyloe. (result: 4)

@Skyblade: Water is everywhere. No air. You can't breathe.

Your chest feels like it's going to explode.

The world is going black.
« Subject to editing »

Faiyloe

*sees that Sky is drowning tries to swim with her to the surface and get her to the edge of the pool.*

OOC note: I know some lifeguarding in rl.

James Gryphon

Faiyloe manages to catch Skyblade and bring her back up to the surface. After Faiy performs some lifesaving techniques, Sky begins to stir. She's exhausted and rather worse for wear, but still alive.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

*Coughs up water*

OOC: Why did that end so badly? I'm just curious.

Faiyloe

OOC: You rolled a 1 on your previous action

*lets out a sigh of relief* You're back. *I pull the helium tank out of the water while keeping an eye on the fire*